HEELP!! i was trying to enable VPN and BOOM RRS feed

• Question

• i enabled routing and remote access while in a remote desktop session on the server. and the connection dropped and  did not restart. 

i can not see any foldershares now. 
    i can not connect with WHS console tool
    i can not connect tih RD 

it does still pull an ip from my router of 192.168.1.66

its the hp mediasmart server. so i have no monitor  port to  hook up  (unless its hidden)

is there some way to undo this. wihtout formatting all the drives  and losing 2TB of data
    i am sure there is but im having panic attack here.. and cant think

all this to get a reliable VPN  going that my sister can use to back up her laptop over the internet.. sigh

i am on a laptop on the local lan right now 
    ping to the ip of the server is not responding. though the router 192.168.1.254 does show an ack on  192.168.1.66 for the server... hte netbios name for the server is  DREAMSERVER  and in workgroup FREEDOM

windows vista does not see it any longer.  neither does my xbox media center extender
    ( so much for watching dexter tonight)

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    what you can try is unsupported, but may work - disabling the RRAS service in the registry.
    Do do this, you need to detach the system drive from your Windows Home Server, attach it to another Windows PC as secondary drive and perform following steps:
    • Power up the OS of the helper PC.
    • Click Start/Run and type regedit.
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    • Click File/Load Hive.
    • Navigate to the system partition of your Windows Home Server which should have been assigned a drive letter in Windows Explorer.
    • Go to Windows\system32\config and select the file SYSTEM.
    • Assign the new key the name whssystem.
    • Within that key navigate to ControlSet001\Services\RemoteAccess.
    • Find the value Start on the right side and change it from 2 (assumed setting) to 4. (4 means deactivated).
    • Click on the key whsssystem and select  File/Unload Hive in the menu.
    • Close registry editor and shut down the system.
    • Mount the disk into the WHS again and power up.
    (If this still does not work, some Windows Firewall settings may be wrong as well after your change.)
    Good luck
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Bastol Friday, December 19, 2008 9:28 PM
    Friday, December 19, 2008 11:46 AM
  • You can try Olaf's suggestion. If it doesn't work, then you will have to perform a server recovery. This will preserve your shares and the data in them, and your backup database. You will have to recreate users, rejoin your home computers to your server, reinstall add-ins, and re-configure any OS customizations or other software (not add-ins) you may have. Don't perform a factory reset; that will wipe your drives (losing all data and backups) and you will be starting from scratch.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Bastol Friday, December 19, 2008 9:29 PM
    Friday, December 19, 2008 12:38 PM

All replies

• okay . well i am guessign i did somethign wrong.. its been a while ..

hamachi was installed and  the server has only one other nic device  (for the only physical network cable)

ran the wizard and disabled the firewall service as the wizard required ( wizard in routing and remote access)
    chose the lan card for the internet connection nic ( for incoming vpn connections) and  completed the wizard.

the remote connections cut me off. and now i am in this boat..
    is ther some trick with the  WHS by HP to reboot with last known good config.. ( without monitors or such devices to see the boot process ?)

(am diggin through manuals and online docs  now, but so far no fast luck)

--== edit ==--
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01213383&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ca&product=3548165&lang=en
    is teh only recovery mode i can find. and both options are  bad.. well one is BAD and the other is a major PITA that involves reconfigging the client software on all the clients and recreating all the user accounts and foldershares.  updates and addins..

there has got to be a better way . .

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Friday, December 19, 2008 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry, there isn't any other way than doing a server recovery.
    It's no big deal, I must have done a dozen or more up until now!
    Once the recovery is done, it's just a matter of  entering your Client Info in the server, then running 'Discovery.exe' which is in the WHS folder on each Client. This will reset all your Clients to the 'new' server and will retain all your data on the Server.
    The only extras, would be if you have custom software or Add-Ins, which of course would then need re-installing.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 11:23 AM
  • Hi,
    what you can try is unsupported, but may work - disabling the RRAS service in the registry.
    Do do this, you need to detach the system drive from your Windows Home Server, attach it to another Windows PC as secondary drive and perform following steps:
    • Power up the OS of the helper PC.
    • Click Start/Run and type regedit.
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    • Click File/Load Hive.
    • Navigate to the system partition of your Windows Home Server which should have been assigned a drive letter in Windows Explorer.
    • Go to Windows\system32\config and select the file SYSTEM.
    • Assign the new key the name whssystem.
    • Within that key navigate to ControlSet001\Services\RemoteAccess.
    • Find the value Start on the right side and change it from 2 (assumed setting) to 4. (4 means deactivated).
    • Click on the key whsssystem and select  File/Unload Hive in the menu.
    • Close registry editor and shut down the system.
    • Mount the disk into the WHS again and power up.
    (If this still does not work, some Windows Firewall settings may be wrong as well after your change.)
    Good luck
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Bastol Friday, December 19, 2008 9:28 PM
    Friday, December 19, 2008 11:46 AM
  • You can try Olaf's suggestion. If it doesn't work, then you will have to perform a server recovery. This will preserve your shares and the data in them, and your backup database. You will have to recreate users, rejoin your home computers to your server, reinstall add-ins, and re-configure any OS customizations or other software (not add-ins) you may have. Don't perform a factory reset; that will wipe your drives (losing all data and backups) and you will be starting from scratch.

• Marked as answer by Bastol Friday, December 19, 2008 9:29 PM
    Friday, December 19, 2008 12:38 PM
  • Well, thank you all for the fast replys..

I decided to do the recovery..  pulling out drives was not an option as  my desktop has long since died a horrible virus and hardware failure. and is currently serving a term of hockeypuck..

and i have no external enclosures that use sata.

only thing is i hope when it nukes the user accounts that it does not  nuke the data on them  ( personal user data )

and that it manages to keep the mount info for the external usb drives i have  linked as part of the data volume

ill let ya know in 60 mins or so when its done..

does anyone know if that button does anything else but trigger this mode..  as i noticed it would go solid red and not power up if i clicked it once too soon..  it worked so smooth for so  long i never had to learn much more about it :)
    now.. i am more than curious..

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Friday, December 19, 2008 9:03 PM
  • okay.. teh install compelted. but  running the discovery  app failed.. it found the server butthen said the version of teh conenctor software i had was invalid or out of date.

so i removed it and the server software from the laptop and restarted teh connector software install from teh recovery cd. thinking it was a diffrent version .

it installed.. did not give me an invalid version..

it gave me a unrecoverable error during the detection phase..
    and died.. i can go back and retyr the detection .

the server is showing up  as hpserver on the network now with the default workgroup. .

i am going to try remote desktop to get in . though it has not setup apsswords or user accounts or anything now. so i do not knwo how that will go..

and panic sets in.....

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Friday, December 19, 2008 10:17 PM
  • I am going to die

my server is now recovered.
    i did NOT do the factory reset
    i  DID do the recovery

it has recovered only my folder share list..
    and tlist of previous computers backups..
    but is reporting that all the drives are empty and healthy and i ahve 2.25 Tb free

which should be only 1 tb free before the problem

which means unless theres some trick i am missing
     i have jsut lost many years and a few hundrend gigs of family photos..
    alot of personal documents and my resume  etc..
    and my archives of media both video and audio that ar near irreplaceable.

please someone etll me there is some further trick to recover my data..  its ghost is there... and it shouldnt ahve formatted the drives..

F*** and other expletives..
    scuse me while i go cry..

to top it off while it was doign its thing i went xmas shoppping to come back and have had my new dog puppy  chew about 30 xbox games to splinters.. case and disk and all ..

poor dog... i am going to go to bed now.. and cry myself to sleep

screenshot 1  - drives
    http://ncj4xa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pPND7pSwW8BEG66LjRA0KmctS4HavBngF3wbWzGDeizWNn2TB37SdNhVlzxDBmDYxrSDVRWYDfwmEbXluS_MchA/whs%20after%20recover.jpg
    screenshot 2 - shares
    http://ncj4xa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pPND7pSwW8BEpQ7xWJRLnIHao5Uo4COXgLZ4dFbX4BJ7yntpBGM-oJYDzfdm5KhzRtM2PTeOA-HjYdoM28iIhSA/whs%20after%20recover2.jpg
    screenshot 3 - backups
    http://ncj4xa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pJd0kkqAkb4YqWVzYkdflBFyhD-aoQxPG2b1RzCbpTPV6HOcqvkVY7qcQNXDDLv9aN7GzSS7RkPrEOHOKZ5wE3A/whs%20after%20recover3.jpg

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 8:43 AM
  • one small hope. .
     the remote desktop reports the drives are full
    well  one might be wiped but  others are 4% free which  means the data might stillbe there..

any pointers ? my brain is fried from the stress

screenshot of remote desktop 
    http://ncj4xa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1peMqTMvEdt3HjiZQvZRyyl_Gv1Pe4KGQib9kzApogWjODp1yeXiz-OyxMAr8HLvi6PHDHlOWQjseaiMX4UD5lFQ/whs%20after%20recover4.jpg
    --==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 9:01 AM
  • I'm not 100% clear on the exact sequence of events that led you to the point you are at right now, and in any case once you make unsupported modifications (Hamachi, RRAS) to your server all bets are off, so to speak, but if you are seeing that the disks are mostly full it's likely that your files are still available.

To retrieve them, the best thing to do is to remove each disk from your server one at a time and connect it to another computer on your network. Then copy any files you find under <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. off the drive. Once you've gone through all your drives (including the system drive; copy from the larger partition in this case), you have all the files you will be able to recover.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Bastol said:

one small hope. .
     the remote desktop reports the drives are full
    well  one might be wiped but  others are 4% free which  means the data might stillbe there..

any pointers ? my brain is fried from the stress

screenshot of remote desktop 
    http://ncj4xa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1peMqTMvEdt3HjiZQvZRyyl_Gv1Pe4KGQib9kzApogWjODp1yeXiz-OyxMAr8HLvi6PHDHlOWQjseaiMX4UD5lFQ/whs after recover4.jpg

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I

Did you stop the recovery process early?  The last step of the recovery process re-creates the tombstones on the primary drive.  If that didn't run, I could see how WHS might think your server is completely empty, even when it's not.
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Unsupported modifications should at least not affect a server reinstall.
    Maybe Bastol tried to early to install the Connector software, while the server was still busy rebuilding the tombstones?
    Since the OEM systems always have their own procedures, without reading the documentation/shown dialogs it is not simple to say, what exactly happened.
    Before initiating a server reinstall, the old connector software should usually be uninstalled (at least for the Scaleo home server I use).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:19 PM
  • hey guys.. thanks again..

the sequence is up there but maybe i was not clear in my ramblings.

1. did the recovery.. using the suggestion that the home server connectors did not need to be uninstalled but simply just run the  discover.exe
         it failed with an error stating invaild connector version number
    2. so i tried withthe connector software install on the  restore dvd.
        same problem  but just  fail
    3. so i reinitiated the restore process agian 
        after removing the conenctor software from the computer first

and i am now where i am at.

the files are there.. thank god.. they are in  c:/fs/de/ etc etc
    the drives are mounted there.

it look slike i may have lost SOME data  as the server partition data drive was full before and is now empty.
    but a majority of the data seems to be floating around in those partitions

REMOVING the drives and copying from another computer is not an option  because i have no enclosures or sata on any workign computers..  i am on a laptop.. and due to xmas overspending i have  no coin left for that..

if the tombstones need to be recreated. then  how would one go about triggering that manually ?
    there  obviously is a way  since the recovery disk was to do that  initially ..

i found a bat file that talks about it..
    @echo off  
    rem  This script is intended to provide any handling that HP can do to   
    rem  recover user data as part of a server recovery.  It is invoked after   
    rem  the client software is reinstalled.  

echo Attempting to recover data.  

FOR /F "tokens=2* delims=    " %%A IN ('reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /v HP_CONF_FILE') DO SET INI_FILE=%%B  
    ECHO INI_FILE=%INI_FILE%  

FOR /F "tokens=1,2 delims='='" %%A IN ('type "%INI_FILE%"') DO SET %%A=%%B  

ECHO HP_PROG_DIR=%HP_PROG_DIR%  
    ECHO HP_DATA_DIR=%HP_DATA_DIR%  
    ECHO PG_PROG_DIR=%PG_PROG_DIR%  
    ECHO PG_DATA_DIR=%PG_DATA_DIR%  
    ECHO JETTY_HOME=%JETTY_HOME%  

rem parameters for dumping the SanJuan database tables to the logs directory  
    rem The DUMPFILE name is just an example  

rem set DUMPFILE="%HP_DATA_DIR%\logs\db-backup.txt" 

ECHO Backing up DB contents to file %DUMPFILE%  
    "%PG_PROG_DIR%\bin\pg_dump"  --host=localhost --username=sj --format=c --ignore-version --disable-dollar-quoting --file="%DUMPFILE%" sj  

java -DHP_CONF_FILE="%INI_FILE%" -cp %JETTY_HOME%\webapps\Webshare\WEB-INF\lib\postgresql-8.2-504.jdbc3.jar;%JETTY_HOME%\webapps\Webshare\WEB-INF\classes com.hp.psg.psb.homeserver.db.recovery.Recovery  

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Hello,
    if you try another server recovery, will it still be offered?
    An "empty" D: drive can well point to the interruption of the process of rebuilding tombstones. Be also aware, that the folder DE is hidden and so with default Windows Explorer settings is not visible.
    No idea about the scripts used during installation, especially since that one seems to be specially by HP related stuff. Maybe their support has a better clue how to continue here.

If you can get a larger new disk (maybe 1 TB?), you can remove all old disks, and use only this new one for a factory reset.
    After that is finshed successfully, you can attach the drives one by one and use Windows Explorer in a Remote Desktop session to copy the content of the subfolders from DE\shares to the new shares located below the shortcut Shared folders on server on the server desktop (do not copy directly within the file system).
    After copying of one disk has been completed, add that disk to the storage pool again and go on with the next disk until finished.

Olaf
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:58 PM
  • Thanks olaf.  that gives me another idea actually

I am thinking that if i copy the files durign a remote desktop session  to the network share  it should reallocate teh files and recreate the tombstones..
    ( if its smart just remake the tombstones)

there is 1tb free space betweenthe drives, but i am worried since the remote console shows that the space is free if there may be some kind of conflict that resolves by overwriting the files that already exist ..

can not complain to buy a new 1tb drive and fillthat empty drive bay tho :)  jsut no coin to purchase it with right now..

did anyone look at those screenshots to see exactly what i mean  where one tool reports diffrently than another.. ?

i would fix my desktop machine but  the panel on the computer with my lic code to register my xp pro is missing ( i think my dad stole it maybe)  so i can  not reinstall the os without running into  a microsoft licence issue..  the machine currently might work in safe mode i hope but there is carious hardware issues on it as well so i wrote that machine off.. its really old..

is there not some trick to force the tombstones to rebuild for the files without actually moving them as  theoretically they would end up in teh same  ghosted DE directory ?

yes i am trying to find soemthing on google with no luck.. need to figure the right phrases..

greets from canada..
    Paul

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 11:46 PM
  • UPDATE:

i copied one file ( an expendable movie file i have the actual DVD of ( yes i am legit with my files))

C:\fs\E\DE\shares\Movies

was wehre the file was found

i copied it to the network sahre via remote desktop to  the location is hould ahve been in . .

\\Dreamserver\Movies

and it failed stating the original file or resource was no longer available.

so i looked in  the c: folder to see if it was lying and there was now a 0kb file ther with the exact same name

so i looked in the network folder. - another 0kb file there. ( well the tombstone)

so again . .there has to be a way to recreate the tombstones.
    aslo the computer backups are there as GUID based folders.. 
    but  are not properly linked to the WHS console..

--- i am absolutley afraid to touch anything else  until i find a script that remakes tombstones withotu touching the original files
    else i ahve to wait a month or so to have the coin to buy another hard drive to extract things to ..
    and then back ..

please someone save my life  lol . i am desperatley trying but google is failing me.

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:13 AM
  • Hi Paul,
    copying to the same place is not a good idea, instead would be creating another share and trying to copy from the file system to that new share possible give better results without old problems bleeding in. Otherwise you risk to overwrite the real file with a copy of itself and with the tombstones interacting it may cause the file going lost during that (I could imagine).
    What is an "expendable" movie file, btw.?

With preserving Computer Backups after a server reinstall I had never very much luck in my few attempts, maybe, because the backup database is very sensible against changes. (Or maybe the server has first to be on the same patch level again before trying to access the DB, which I recommend anyway.)

Olaf
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:36 AM
  • Bastol said:

UPDATE:

i copied one file ( an expendable movie file i have the actual DVD of ( yes i am legit with my files))

C:\fs\E\DE\shares\Movies

was wehre the file was found

i copied it to the network sahre via remote desktop to  the location is hould ahve been in . .

\\Dreamserver\Movies

and it failed stating the original file or resource was no longer available.

so i looked in  the c: folder to see if it was lying and there was now a 0kb file ther with the exact same name

so i looked in the network folder. - another 0kb file there. ( well the tombstone)

so again . .there has to be a way to recreate the tombstones.
    aslo the computer backups are there as GUID based folders.. 
    but  are not properly linked to the WHS console..

--- i am absolutley afraid to touch anything else  until i find a script that remakes tombstones withotu touching the original files
    else i ahve to wait a month or so to have the coin to buy another hard drive to extract things to ..
    and then back ..

please someone save my life  lol . i am desperatley trying but google is failing me.

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I

As Olaf and myself previously said, it sounds like the tombstone rebuild process did not run.  (And there is no known way of running it manually.)  My suggestion at this point would be to do another Server Recovery and wait until it has completely finished.  The last step (rebuilding tombstones) will look like the server is "frozen", but it's not.  Just be patient and let the process run.  :)
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 4:22 PM
  • olaf : expendable movie file is a file i wasnt concerned about losing as i own the original dvd and can re create it..

since i have already run teh recovery process twice.. and this was the state i was left with i saw no reason to try to run it again ..

all the files are located in 

c:/FS/E/DE
    c:/FS/U/DE
    c:/FS/W/DE

in each of these folders are folders named 
    folders
    shares
    config.msi (only in c:/fs/e )

folders looks like guid based stuff whichi am currently suspecting is the backups for the computers  because of the file naming conventions and datafiles in it..   i will worry about those later.

in the shares  folder are my missing data..

now i found in actuality when i copied that file from the  c:/fs/e/de/shares/movies/    to the //dreamserver/movies/  share   it did nto actually nuke the original file.. i found after refreshign the explorer window that there was now boththe  0kb file   and a new fiel that was named identically but with a  .avi-1 appended tot he end of it. instead of .avi as it orginally was..   (woot the server cares enough to not wipe the files)

that gave me the confidence to copy some files

i did this manually at first
    in the first folder i created c:/fs/e/de/TEMP
    and moved the contents of  the shares directory into this temp folder
    took about a minute ( since it was moving  files to the same drive  i am guessing if i would have recursed back more it mayhave actually tried to move the files tot he system drive. which would have been bad..)

then moved those files from the    c:/fs/e/de/TEMp/ directory to the corresponding  //dreamserver/  share...  ( folders names were the same )

this took some time..  hours in fact for the first 500GB  but  it worked.. the files were restored..
    now the other dirs had teh rest of the files..   Now on some directories i had folder duplication on .. so i hope i do not run into snags on that.. other than i might have to overwrite some files a few times..

so i went to work making a batch file to save me some clicking..

REM to be used in the c:/fs/?/DE/ directory   

md TEMP  
    pushd shares  
    xcopy *.* ../TEMP /S /Y  
    popd  

but i forgot how to do a recursive directory movve in a batch.. and xcopy jsut fills the available free space till it errors..  some of those drives are only 96% full. so it has to be a move..

will continue moving slowly by hadn till i can remember how.

now the problem stillexists fo the backups database.. it seems to knwo allthe computers connected but says they are all not backed up  ( and they arent currently on the network so it has to be getting the info from the drives.. )

and the data is there.. how would one go about relinking it to the database.. ...

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Hi Paul,
    you could try the same with removing the real files from the folder {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} on each drive after entering the commands
    net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    and copy them back to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.
    The problem is here to distinguish between true files and tombstones again.
    After finishing reboot the server and see if you can access the backups again (and perform a restore).

But a more simple and reliable method would be to delete all files from above folder and redo the backups.

Btw. - if you try to address subfolders in batches, you should use \ instead of /.
    And it has not mentioned without reason, that writing directly to the file system of a drive in the storage pool (like you do with that temp folder) could be a bad idea.

Olaf
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:40 PM
  • hey olaf ..  i am not sure what your talkign about there with the backups..
    if it comes down to it i can lose the backups.. allt he computers are workign fine..  but if they can do it on a restore there has to be a way to do it manually

so far i ahve had no problems with the process i ahve devised  movign to a temp dir and then recopying to the network share..  ( not the the local folder)

and yes.. i often use the wrong slashes when typing.. i am a bit dyslexic..
    i do know the right way ..

know how to  move a recursive directory structer and files in a batch file ?

also  note interesting reaction on server once i started copyign the first files.. 
    http://ncj4xa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pcrsxQRRi7STxv6DcRoz9AKPgUddEYHYXX6uizSREQwy-0zODoZn_VezhuDvPF0ODtafhBIfAW6Klu3ySa74bZA/intereesting%20server%20reaction.jpg

it seems to ahve found  that the drives are full nwo and allocated allteh files that were in the shared folders as  system files now.
    so as i copy them to the shared folders.. it seems to move them  from system to  shared as expected except tehre seems to be a little overhead..
    as the free space is  dwindling..

i did turn off all folder duplication while i am workin on this..

damn it takes for ever to deal with terabytes of files. 

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Hi Paul,
    your screenshot looks optical good.
    And creating folders like TEMP within the Shared folders can exactly create confusion for the WHS Drive Extender. (Instead use a temp folder somewhere else, in D:\ maybe.)

Regarding your other question:
    xcopy as an important parameter: /?
    This shows also on WHS, that /s copies files in subfolders as well.

Olaf

Monday, December 22, 2008 12:17 AM
  •  i guess i am basically bloggin this event now.. i guess its quite disturbing to me how much work this is turning out to be for somthign that should ahve been simple.. 

so diggin thorugh the backups i foudn several directories that comtained them
    D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    seemed to contain  the newest set of data.. aka  no backups and onely one blank one for the bolded computer that showed on teh list initially
    the greyed out computers data seemed to be distributed across the following folders

D:\folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    C:\fs\U\DE\folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    C:\fs\W\DE\folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    C:\fs\E\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

so i figure if i merged all the folders ( assuming data redundancey from duplication ) and then moved them to the following folder

D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

that things might come together for me.. and let the system sort out the duplication.. much in the same way i am rebuilding the  data files.

though admittedly having an empty drive hooked up to transfer files to temporarily would be less problematic. ( although take twice as long from the moves)

i figure if i am willin gto lose them . i have nothing to lose by trying this..
    as the data in these backups are realatively expendable for the learnign experience.

----------------
    problems arising from moving folders so far..
    some files are duplicated across drives   c:\fs\U   c:\fs\W  c:\fs\E due to folder duplication..
    because  the load balancing of WHS files  are not evenly spread across teh free space   i am encountering  drive full errors
    when moving files.. that only happen on the larger files.. so a temporary drive would be better  but i do not have one large enough...

----
    back to the backups - i have decided to not attempt this method fo recovery due to several directories listed above have duplicate entries and the system was claiming some files in use.
    so rather than break things. i decided to delete the contents of those directories to free up mosre space on teh drives for saving the important data from teh foldershares..

still having issues with that

--
    olaf : thanks for the compliment on the screenshot.  i am aware of the xcopy /s for coping fiels and directories.. but i am trying to MOVE them  recursivly  because i do not ahve space to copy them and then move them .
    so far i ahve about 1/3 done.. its going slow because i need a script to do this move.. and move/? does not have an option to include all subdirectories in the move

i would like to hear thoughts on the recovery of the backups using this copy method..  the system did repond indicating that the backups  were taking up more and more space.. however none of the backups showed in the list under the consoles backup tab..
    just that the backup space was used..  so obviously  the pie chart is generated by the contents of specific folders and not actually what is functional.. just like everything that is not in the shares directory being tallied as system files.. which is not true either..

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Monday, December 22, 2008 1:32 AM
  • Hi Paul,
    "because  the load balancing of WHS files  are not evenly spread across teh free space"
    Balancing is not the ideal wording to describe, how WHS tries to distribute the files over multiple disks. You may wish to check this whitepaper to understand the details a bit better.

"that things might come together for me.. and let the system sort out the duplication"
    Backups are not duplicated. (the "duplicate" is the running client).

"system was claiming some files in use"
    Thats why you should stop the services first, I wrote:
    net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup

"i need a script to do this move.. and move/? does not have an option to include all subdirectories in the move"
    Robocopy from Windows Server 2003 Ressource Kit Tools is your friend. It allows to move files, can do jobs recursively and much more.

Olaf
    Monday, December 22, 2008 10:13 AM
  • just an update

i ahve usign the method described above recoved my datafiles.

however there was a loss of about 5%   as soem files were locked and refused to unlock..even after shutting down services..

they were mostly replaceable movie files as i own the dvd's

but there is soemthign that is happening now that it annoying..
    the server is very slow..
    when streamign meada fromt eh foldershares to the xbox360   it takes minutes before the video starts..
    where it used to be instant.

i suspect a rogue process.. but willgive it a few days to settle down as it could be indexing..

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 12:58 AM