How to host a file on my whs webpage RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've downloaded Whiist and created a website on my homeserver called budget. Basically I want to be able to host an excel file that can be accessed via the http://myserver.homeserver.com page. I've been able to add a hyperlink to the file that opens the excel file, however, it forces me to do a Save-As and save a local copy of the file to my computer.

What I would like to be able to do, is host the excel file, but be able to open it and make changes to it and then save the changes to the file that is located on the server. This way if I'm making a change to the budget, my wife can log in from her computer and see the changes.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:13 AM

All replies

• If you want to be able to share the file, you should store it in the server shares. That way it will be available anywhere your home server is available. If you need to access it remotely, you can use the normal Windows Home Server Remote Access web site functionality.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for replying. I see where I can access the file via the remote access web site. The only problem with that is I would have to upload the document after I've made changes to it.

What I guess I'm hoping to do is to be able to pull up the excel file, make the changes and click save and it would automatically save it on the share drive on the server instead of having to upload the changed file back to the share drive.

I tried (this morning) to save the file as a web page and then link it to my whs web page, but it turned out to be just an html page that didn't allow any changes to be made.

Is there a way to embed the file onto a page and allow changes to be made realtime to it?

The goal is to simplify this for my wife, she won't take the time to upload the file after she makes any changes.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:00 PM
  • What you need is a way to serve files up via HTTP (actually via HTTPS, as I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want your family budget available to the entire world) but have it look like they're stored in a local file or a network share.

There are ways to accomplish what you want (for example SharePoint), but anything you do will require quite a bit of effort, and based on what you've said, will probably mot be considered acceptable by your wife (there are no "one click" solutions I'm aware of). Does she actually need access to this file from outside the home? For that matter, do you?

One option (I don't know how well it will support your requirements) is Brendan Grant's Web Folders 4 WHS.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:44 PM
  • If you don't care that Google has your data, Google Documents is a quick and easy way to share colloborative documents. Smile
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:19 PM