External USB hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello...

I have a 2TB WD Elements drive attached to my WHS.  It shows up in Windows Explorer fine and I can copy files to and from it easily using Explorer.  However, the drive is not recognized by WHS at all. It never shows up in the "Storage" tab.  I thought it was a driver issue, but this is the 2nd USB drive I've tried to use and neither one works.  I've searched and searched but no one else seems to have this problem.

I built this WHS myself - both drives work fine on my Windows 7 desktop and also as I mentioned from Windows Explorer on the WHS itself. Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE

I found this post here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whspowerpack1beta/thread/faf649ce-d556-49b0-bdd1-5bc846f26653

Tried the instructions there (attach to new PC, diskpart, select disk #, clean - reattach to WHS) and there's still no response from WHS.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:10 AM

All replies

• I know that some of the newer WD drives use a newer technology, unsure if they are compatible with WHS though, does your BIOS see the drive?
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:19 PM
  • I know that some of the newer WD drives use a newer technology, unsure if they are compatible with WHS though, does your BIOS see the drive?

Yes. The drive mounts fine and is completely usable by Windows Explorer, just not WHS.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:51 AM