Restoring asking for two disks RRS feed

• Question

• When I go to restore my Money backup file, it asks me for a second disk.  There is no second disk.  My backup is on a flashdrive.  What can I do to get around this?
    Friday, May 27, 2011 2:10 AM

All replies

• Floppy disk backups over multiple disks have files with names files will be named *d1.mbf, *d2.mbf, *d3.mbf and so on, depending on how many are involved. If these files are on your flash drive, then you may be able to hit the enter key to have Money look for the next file.

If you don't have more than one such file, and if you don't have the original floppy diskettes, then there may not be a solution for you.

Do you have access to the hard drive that was used with money?

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:46 AM
  • I've had this problem. The cause was a flashdrive which had a password protection option. This took the form of a tiny (1.5 MEG) partition with an .exe on it. When I plugged the drive into the USB I would get F: and G: drives. Sometimes (don't know why) the drives would attach "the other way round" so that the 1.5 MEG was the F: drive and was obviously too small for a backup. Money would ask for a second disk, I didn't notice the message and just closed the window. When I checked the stick I had only a tiny file. I worked it out eventually and managed to avoid it happening again. If this is what happened to you then there is no fix, you will have what is essentially a truncated backup.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 12:55 PM
  • That is my problem.  I do not have access to the hard drive.  My hard drive has died on my desktop and I loaded the sunset version of Money on a note book and now  am trying to load the Money information via a backup.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:38 AM
  • That is my problem.  I do not have access to the hard drive.  My hard drive has died on my desktop and I loaded the sunset version of Money on a note book and now  am trying to load the Money information via a backup.

banjomike suggested you look for other partitions on your flash drive.

It may be possible that the hard drive became corrupted so that it no longer booted the computer, but it still can be accessed with the right tool. Try one of those USB adaptors that connect to a hard drive that would let the drive be viewed as a USB drive on your laptop computer. You can buy them for maybe $20 to $40, plus you may have a friend who would lend you one.

For big bucks, there are services that can often recover data from drives with certain hardware failures. I don't have any recommendations on such a service. If it would be worth $1000 to you, then it would be worthwhile looking for such a service. I can't say what the actual charge would be, but I think I am in the right ballpark.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:32 PM
  • My problem is not work related, but my IT guy at the office is going to take a look at my hard drive on Friday.  He did let me borrow his USB adaptor, but I have not had success in getting anything to come up (I keep trying-all I need is once).  And I think your $1,000 is probably correct (my IT guy said $800).  If it is that expensive, I probably will re-input and start over.  I have all printouts from 12/31/2010 so that I could start fresh in 2011.  Thanks for all your help.  I do appreciate it.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:09 PM
  • My problem is not work related, but my IT guy at the office is going to take a look at my hard drive on Friday.  He did let me borrow his USB adaptor, but I have not had success in getting anything to come up (I keep trying-all I need is once).  And I think your $1,000 is probably correct (my IT guy said $800).  If it is that expensive, I probably will re-input and start over.  I have all printouts from 12/31/2010 so that I could start fresh in 2011.  Thanks for all your help.  I do appreciate it.

If you do choose to start with a new file, you can use PocketSense to download statements from brokers and credit cards that have the OFX servers. The sooner you do the downloads, the more transactions you will have, and the less data you will need to enter by hand. The OFX servers normally keep data for a period that varies by institution. The setup for PocketSense would not be wasted if you salvaged your current file, because it will be useful to add new transactions.

On those adapters, I have seen them work better when the power supply to the drive was powered up before the USB cable was plugged in to the computer... if I remember correctly. Those adaptors sometimes have the choice of powering the drive via the USB vs a supply that comes with the adapter kit.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:22 PM
  • On two occasions I have had success getting a "dead" drive to work by replacing the controller card on the drive itself.  It is only a screwdriver job but it managed to get the disks spinning for long enough to copy the contents to another drive.  This is the sort of ebay advert I bought from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hard-Disk-Drive-Controller-Board-PCB-Boards-/180669589651?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10bf2893

One tip.  If you do try this make sure you have the destination drive powered ON and working and with enough space on it.  Controller swaps don't always work consistently (different firmware releases etc) so be ready.

Another tip.  Don't try to copy everything at once.  Start with critical files.  Copy them twice to different folders.

Specify the model number and firmware revision when you order.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:30 PM