none
What happened to SharePoint Community??? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm a regular contributor to Technet Forums from last 3 yrs. During this period, I've gained like 16k points, 2 golds, 6 silver or whatever.. Contributed over 30+ scripts to gallery resulting in close to 19k downloads. All of this in SharePoint. After this, I don't see any recognition ever from any community member least of all Microsoft. I tried to contact them using email, followed them on twitter for sometime. I have not received any response back ever. Even when simply asking for feedback. So a contributing few mins/hrs daily seems like doesn't matter to anyone. So I want to know how the community works? What do you do if you don't know anyone personally from community? And If it does not matter to anyone, why do you have a recognition system in place at all? I'm sorry for my harsh words, if it does offend you. But I hope, you can understand my frustration. 

Thanks
    Mohit

• Edited by mohit.goyal Friday, December 30, 2016 9:09 PM
    • Changed type Naomi NModerator Tuesday, January 3, 2017 12:57 PM More like a discussion
    Friday, December 30, 2016 9:08 PM

All replies

• Your profile shows activities and points over the last month. But it is difficult to directly communicate with other community members, or even Microsoft people. Have you looked for blog posts by SharePoint people? If the post is recent, you can comment and perhaps get a response.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, December 30, 2016 9:32 PM
  • Also here's an overview of point system.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/ff395928.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#_Recognition_System

If you're thinking MVP you can nominate yourself here.

https://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/nomination/nominate-an-mvp

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 30, 2016 9:39 PM
  • Hi Dave

I don't think of myself as high as MVP. I'm sure something small would do for me. Or perhaps even a feedback. I did applied for MVP just to try to get feedback on contributions, no response ever. I feel more than frustrated. It's like there is no place for average guys like me. 

Thanks
    Mohit

Saturday, December 31, 2016 7:58 AM
  • Hi Richard

I do understand that direct communication is difficult. And I know by my experience. So when the Microsoft people sit together and decide who should be given the community contributor, or MVP or some other recognition, what factors they care about? If someone has managed to get to top 250 contributors of year, even by small contributions, it is likely that he knows something in his field and care to share knowledge with community. It seems like if no one is representing you (because you know no one and no one knows you personally), you won't ever be considered.

Thanks
    Mohit

Saturday, December 31, 2016 8:07 AM
  • Take a look at this TechNet article

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14422.how-to-become-a-microsoft-mvp-by-mvp-s.aspx

There were similar articles on the topic which unfortunately are not linked from this one.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Sunday, January 1, 2017 10:32 PM
  • Been there, done that. Truth is that there is no subjective criteria defined for assessment and eligibility. If I can't even get a response from MVP award evaluation team that you are doing X, which is okay and we think you should do y too and if you can increase your efforts on Z, as existing nominees are already doing this, then it does not help. I have seen people getting MVPs in a row where their blogs are just archives and they don't contribute at all on forums.

Thanks
    Mohit

• Edited by mohit.goyal Monday, January 2, 2017 8:48 AM
    Monday, January 2, 2017 8:17 AM
  • In addition to online presence you may want to increase your appearances making presentations in the actual User Groups. That will definitely put you on the spot. Online presence only can be enough but adding the actual presentations increases the chances.

Say, I've never been an MVP although I've been nominated a few times. I've been active in these forums for many years. 

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, January 2, 2017 1:02 PM
  • Microsoft has never published the requirements for being named an MVP, except the vague guidelines you refer to. I believe they do not want to establish fixed rules. They want to allow for some discretion. In particular, if someone meets guidelines, like the number of forum posts marked as answer, but comes across as rude or condescending, they might not be selected. And I would not be surprised if different product groups use different criteria. I believe the criteria has evolved over time, for many reasons.

The purpose of the MVP program is to reward participation and incent people to be helpful. All kinds of community participation is taken into account: answering questions in the forums, moderating forums, publishing or editing TechNet Wiki articles, writing articles or books, speaking at conferences or user groups, etc. I believe Microsoft looks for impact, such as the number of people that hear a speech or read an article. And quality is probably more important than quantity.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Monday, January 2, 2017 8:20 PM
  • Hi Richard

Thanks, I understand that. This makes totally sense. I hail from an area where IT Pros community is close to none as people don't like to share knowledge. I can only make online contribution to show for. As far as I know, I have always abide by rules on forums. Besides this, I have a feel that people (at least in area where I live) don't want to know you as you don't have proper credentials or authority stamp on your knowledge and you don't have authority stamp as your impact on community is close to none. This makes it for classic chicken and egg problem. I guess I'll never be able to qualify for this. Anyways thanks for all your help, patience and guidance. Please pardon me if I come across as rude. 

Thanks
    Mohit

• Edited by mohit.goyal Tuesday, January 3, 2017 5:31 AM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 5:30 AM