Product Key not matching due to techie work on puter RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue many people are having through no fault of my own and I want to know how I fix this problem.  My puter had a problem over a year ago and a puter tech fixed it. It required reinstall of my OS. Unfortunately I was not given a disk with my OS on it with my computer purchase, it was preinstalled. I had, and had registered, a Home version of XP. It appears the techie installed his version of XP professional in my system.  How can I solve this problem? Am I qualified for a free XP home disk from MS??  I am NOT going to re-purchase XP Home again.  This would have been so simple if I had received the OS on disk from HP with the purchase of my PC.  I have the certificate sticker with my product code on the side of my puter.  Can't MS simply look that number up and confirm that I have registered a copy of XP Home and issue me a replacement disk??

I am quite *annoyed* with this Genuine MS update. It interrupts games I am playing with it's nag screens as well as interrupts my online surfing and uses up resources. I *KNOW* so why does it have to keep doing this??

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:21 PM

Answers

• Ticked Off,

Did you run the diagnostic test? Sounds like you may have already.  Diagnostic results help our team find resolutions. Please look for the portion of your diagnostic results:

WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. If this is the case then I can see right away what the issue is with Windows XP operating system and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install the operating system is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and version of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.
    This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP Pro is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. First, if this comes as a total surprise, please go back to where you purchased the software and let them know it is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the 114 Blocked VLK statuses. Second, if you purchased this copy of XP from a reseller or retailer, you are a victim and should report this piracy to Microsoft. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided. Reporting piracy to Microsoft will help alleviate others in becoming victims such as yourself. You may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office.  For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

The key installed on this computer was not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a non-sanctioned key generator. The product key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the end user licensing agreement.

Counterfeiters have been known to sell computers with Windows installed, all using the same product key, to unsuspecting consumers. Again, you may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office. Please review and follow the guidance @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine on how to become genuine.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:39 PM
  • Ticked Off,

You mentioned never receiving the OS upon the original purchase.  Please locate your receipt and see if you were charged for the operating system.  Either way you should have received the OEM installation of the OS and other programs. Is the store still in business?  If so I recommend returning and explaining you never received the operating system etc and show them the receipt.  Below is more information which may assist you. If the Certificate of Authenticity has "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" printed on the line right underneath the description of the product, say "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition," then this is a system builder/OEM license (rather than an OEM SLP license from a major manufacturer OEM).  In such case, a lost CD can be replaced by asking your system builder to participate in the End User Media Replacement program, which is a customer service program from Microsoft that supplies replacement CDs to system builders for free so that they can supply them to their customers.
    If you don't have a system builder or they are no longer in business, you can request a replacement CD from Microsoft for $30 using this form:  http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/a/b/babc90a1-b794-4a94-84f5-cbc37827ddca/americas%20end%20user%20media%20replacement%20form.pdf Hope this information will assist you with getting back up and running. Please post again if we may be of further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:46 PM
  • Ticked Off,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?  You mentioned that it is for XP Home Edition.

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  You mentioned that it was an HP computer, so it would read HPQ, HP, or Hewlett-Packard.

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

I am looking forward to seeing your mgadiag report.

If it shows what I am expecting it to show, the solution to your current dilemma would be to use the Recovery Solution supplied by HP when your computer was new (either a set of Recovery CDs or a hidden Recovery Partition on the hard disk drive) to put the original XP Home installation back onto the computer, which would of course make your XP installation 100% genuine.

If you do not have the HP-supplied Recovery Solution, then you can contact HP customer service to inquire about purchasing Recovery CDs for your computer.  If available, they are usually sold for a nominal price to cover costs and shipping.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:47 PM
  • Ticked Off,

Dan is spot on. Please contact Hewlett Packard customer service @ (800) 474-6836 and establish a service request (SR).  The CS agent will ask for the S/N of the machine, credit card number and address where to send the Recovery Software.  The cost for the recovery software is $28-30 dollars and isn't covered under their existing warrantee. 1-(800) 474-6836

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Friday, May 18, 2007 8:22 PM

All replies

• Ticked Off,

Did you run the diagnostic test? Sounds like you may have already.  Diagnostic results help our team find resolutions. Please look for the portion of your diagnostic results:

WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. If this is the case then I can see right away what the issue is with Windows XP operating system and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install the operating system is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and version of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.
    This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP Pro is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. First, if this comes as a total surprise, please go back to where you purchased the software and let them know it is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the 114 Blocked VLK statuses. Second, if you purchased this copy of XP from a reseller or retailer, you are a victim and should report this piracy to Microsoft. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided. Reporting piracy to Microsoft will help alleviate others in becoming victims such as yourself. You may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office.  For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

The key installed on this computer was not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a non-sanctioned key generator. The product key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the end user licensing agreement.

Counterfeiters have been known to sell computers with Windows installed, all using the same product key, to unsuspecting consumers. Again, you may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office. Please review and follow the guidance @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine on how to become genuine.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:39 PM
  • Ticked Off,

You mentioned never receiving the OS upon the original purchase.  Please locate your receipt and see if you were charged for the operating system.  Either way you should have received the OEM installation of the OS and other programs. Is the store still in business?  If so I recommend returning and explaining you never received the operating system etc and show them the receipt.  Below is more information which may assist you. If the Certificate of Authenticity has "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" printed on the line right underneath the description of the product, say "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition," then this is a system builder/OEM license (rather than an OEM SLP license from a major manufacturer OEM).  In such case, a lost CD can be replaced by asking your system builder to participate in the End User Media Replacement program, which is a customer service program from Microsoft that supplies replacement CDs to system builders for free so that they can supply them to their customers.
    If you don't have a system builder or they are no longer in business, you can request a replacement CD from Microsoft for $30 using this form:  http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/a/b/babc90a1-b794-4a94-84f5-cbc37827ddca/americas%20end%20user%20media%20replacement%20form.pdf Hope this information will assist you with getting back up and running. Please post again if we may be of further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:46 PM
  • Ticked Off,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?  You mentioned that it is for XP Home Edition.

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  You mentioned that it was an HP computer, so it would read HPQ, HP, or Hewlett-Packard.

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

I am looking forward to seeing your mgadiag report.

If it shows what I am expecting it to show, the solution to your current dilemma would be to use the Recovery Solution supplied by HP when your computer was new (either a set of Recovery CDs or a hidden Recovery Partition on the hard disk drive) to put the original XP Home installation back onto the computer, which would of course make your XP installation 100% genuine.

If you do not have the HP-supplied Recovery Solution, then you can contact HP customer service to inquire about purchasing Recovery CDs for your computer.  If available, they are usually sold for a nominal price to cover costs and shipping.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:47 PM
  • Ticked Off,

Dan is spot on. Please contact Hewlett Packard customer service @ (800) 474-6836 and establish a service request (SR).  The CS agent will ask for the S/N of the machine, credit card number and address where to send the Recovery Software.  The cost for the recovery software is $28-30 dollars and isn't covered under their existing warrantee. 1-(800) 474-6836

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Friday, May 18, 2007 8:22 PM