Keep old backups after PP1 install? RRS feed

• Question

• If I install the PP1 update, will my existing backups remain and be restore-able?  I have a motherboard out for repair or replacement at the moment, and would very much like to be able to restore that PC when I get it back.  So should I hold off on the PP1 update, or go ahead?
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:52 PM

Answers

• The backups are fine with the Power Pack; the code changes don't have any effect on them.

Don't forget if you replace your motherboard with a different one, you should do a server re-install anyway, because of the different HAL layer. It's technically a violation of your OEM licence, if you change your motherboard for a different one, but when I changed one of mine, the only thing they asked on the phone, (it won't re-register by Internet), was that I only had one server with the software on.

Colin

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:52 PM

All replies

• The backups are fine with the Power Pack; the code changes don't have any effect on them.

Don't forget if you replace your motherboard with a different one, you should do a server re-install anyway, because of the different HAL layer. It's technically a violation of your OEM licence, if you change your motherboard for a different one, but when I changed one of mine, the only thing they asked on the phone, (it won't re-register by Internet), was that I only had one server with the software on.

Colin

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:52 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Colin.  It's a client that's on the fritz, not the server.  The hard drive should be okay, so I shouldn't need to restore the client after the motherboard comes back.  But one never knows.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:04 PM