Windows 2008 Server Task Scheduler with broken email action RRS feed

• Question

• Thank you in advance.  I've found Windows 2008 to be very productive.  After installing 2008 server we had a few rounds of tech problems, which required a few calls to Microsoft - after which, everything has worked very well for almost a year.  There's one small feature that would be enormously helpful - the email function in task manager.  It would be nice to get reports of successful operations.  However, scouring the net I see that this function seems to work for nobody.  I have Windows 2008 Server 64 bit, not hyperv, and IIS is not installed either.  My XML settings are as follows and with running at highest admin level:  

<SendEmail>
      <Server>smtp.com</Server>
      <Subject>testing!!@@#</Subject>
      <To>rjpackard@packard.com</To>
      <From>administrators1@packard.com</From>
      <Body>hi there..</Body>
      <HeaderFields />
      </SendEmail>

The error message I receive is:

CCM_ERRORCODE(0x 80040211) INVALIDADDRESS
     Invalid Address

The above non-authenticated smtp address works for every other application.  Could there be some security restrictions on Task Scheduler that I am unaware?  Any ideas from Microsoft Developers or anyone else?
    • Moved by Kukjin LeeMicrosoft employee Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:22 PM Looking for task scheduler forum (From:Windows Perfmon and Diagnostic Tools)
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 3:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon, resmon, and taskmgr. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.
    Kukjin Lee

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Hello Ron,

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest posting your question in the 'Windows Server TechCenter > Windows Server Forums > Windows Server 2008 R2 General' located here:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsserver2008r2general/threads

Have a great day!

Thanks!

SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    • Proposed as answer by SachinW Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ron Packard Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:33 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:00 AM
  • Win server 2008 and 2008 R2 Task Scheduler only sends as authenticated.  The receiving SMTP server needs to be set up to accept Win auth and the sending email address must be the address of the account that is authenticating - running the task.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:48 PM