Defrag RRS feed

• Question

•  

I recieved the message 'an unknomn error prevented Tune up from perforrming this task" in referrence to defragment. The suggestion was to run tune up again......on my third try and still no luck...any ideas?

btw..over 50% free space

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 2:41 PM

Answers

•  

Try doing a check of the disk. Open Windows Explorer and right click on the drive, select properties and then go to the tools tab and click "check  now" for Error checking. Let that run. You can also tug running Defragmanually Inom the same tab. if it still fails Prom within 0neCare, then please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

- Steve

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:05 PM

All replies

•  

Try doing a check of the disk. Open Windows Explorer and right click on the drive, select properties and then go to the tools tab and click "check  now" for Error checking. Let that run. You can also tug running Defragmanually Inom the same tab. if it still fails Prom within 0neCare, then please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

- Steve

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:05 PM
  • Thanks Steven -

I gave it a try ==

error message..."windows was unable to complete the disc check" as soon as I hit start....might not be OneCare but would still like some help...

thoughts??

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Is this Vista or XP?

Open a command prompt (Start/All Programs/Accesories/System Tools in XP; command in the Vista search box, and right click command.exe in the results list and select Run as Adminstrator) and type chkdsk /f

If it prompts you to schedule the check at a reboot, agree and reboot.

If it still fails, I'd go back to my recommendation to contact support for help since OneCare is unable to execute the Defrag. It may be a disk problem or a Windows issue, but support may be able to help before sending you to Windows Support or referring you to the PC manufacturer.

-steve

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 4:49 PM
  • I run Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron E1705 Laptop! I faithfully see that all the Microsoft One Care Scans and Tune Ups and diles are backed up on there normal schedule. I have the same exact problem No Defrag during the last scheduled Tune Up. The Laptop seems to work normally. I tried following the aboce procedure. Any help with password or were to find such information required for Administrator or the people who also have uses of the Laptop. I have never encountered this problem before. The Tune Up finished normally except for the Defrag part. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You!

Jim Cook

Thursday, December 4, 2008 7:37 PM
  • Hello, Jim.

I've deleted your duplicate post since it is fine as part of this existing thread.

If Defrag is unable to run, giving you an unknown error, and the above suggestions did not resolve it, I recommend that you contact OneCare support for help.

The Administrator Password for the PC would have been configured when it was originally setup. If you don't have access to that, there isn't much that can be done to recover it short of some hacking tools that can be obtained.

-steve

Friday, December 5, 2008 7:59 PM