What version is the US$149 XP Pro Package? RRS feed

• Question

• What version of Windows XP Procomes on cd in the mail?  I was thinking it MIGHT be OEM, so that a person can upgrade their current computer only, but I'm not sure.  If it equivalent to the full retail version that I can use 5 years from now on a new computer, then it seems like a very fair deal.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 3:05 AM

Answers

• I found my answer at http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1064390&SiteID=25.

Per Carey Frisch, <<If you were to take advantage of the WGA offer from Microsoft, you would be purchasing a "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP Professional for around $149 U.S.  If you were to purchase a "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP Professional from a store that sells computer software (boxed version), the price is gernerally $299 U.S.P.S.  If you were to take advantage of the WGA offer from Microsoft, you would be purchasing a "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP Professional for around $149 U.S.  If you were to purchase a "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP Professional from a store that sells computer software (boxed version), the price is gernerally $299 U.S.>>

Dan at IT Associates added, <<Other than price, it's pretty much a wash, since the WGA kit is a full retail license as is of course the boxed store-bought version.  Support is the same.  I think there might be resale rights restrictions in the WGA Kit EULA, but that's more esoteric than anything>>.

Thanks anyway guys, and thanks for the info Carey and Dan.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 3:04 PM