Again: One way file sync like echo mode in SyncToy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to write a one way file syncer in c# that acts like the echo mode in SyncToy which means that I want to copy all files from the left to the right side, files deleted on the right side should be copied again, files deleted on the left side should be deleted on the right side and files added to the left side should be of course be added to the right side. Files added the the right side should be deleted, because they don´t exist on the left side.

I took the basic sync samples and I am able to create a c# application that sync both sides, but the echo mode seems not to be possible. Help is appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Malte

Monday, February 21, 2011 9:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Maltic,

I tried using SyncToy 2.1 to make doubly sure that the two points I made are valid:

>>>> File adds on the right will not be deleted because the left does not know at all about these files and these are not tracked. So cannot delete them.

>>>> Deletes on the right will not be resurrected without any changes on the left to those files. If you update on left such files, they will get resurrected. Since the delete on right has no bearing on the left, it cannot come back on its own.

Do you see other results. If so, can you please tell me what version of SyncToy are you using.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, February 25, 2011 10:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Malte, why not use the SyncToy as is then?

Do you need to further customize it somehow which is necessitating your development effort?

Monday, February 21, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Hi,

I do not want to use SyncToy, because some people have already versions of SyncToy installed and using this for other purposes which I do not want to interfer with. Any help with this is highly appreciated - syncing works flawlessy we need only the additional echo mode.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:46 AM
  • Well, you can create a separate folder pair and that will not interefer with the other folder pairs that may exist.

I just wanted to save you time and effort in re-designing something that has already been done, including the UI part.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:30 PM
  • That makes sense, but since people are using SyncToy for other purposes we have the problem that on some PCs SyncToy 2.1 cannot be started with the command line option to create a folder pair because the users already created pairs which means that we have to delete the .BIN file to delete all user created pairs and I really do not want to have this kind of mess where user apps are interfering with "system" or "IT" apps.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:13 AM
  • You can use the filesyncprovider and implement what you are trying to do. However, there are a couple of caveats:

File adds on the right will not be deleted because the left does not know at all about these files and these are not tracked. So cannot delete them.

Deletes on the right will not be resurrected without any changes on the left to those files. If you update on left such files, they will get resurrected. Since the delete on right has no bearing on the left, it cannot come back on its own.

Friday, February 25, 2011 6:34 AM
  • Thanks for your answer. Your scenario does not describe the echo mode SyncToy has which is built on the Sync Framework. The echo mode does completely what I want to achieve. So the question: how can I develop the echo mode using the Sync Framework? I read something about dummy file creation and stuff. Do I need to implement some custom functions for this? Thanks!!
    Friday, February 25, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Hi Maltic,

I tried using SyncToy 2.1 to make doubly sure that the two points I made are valid:

>>>> File adds on the right will not be deleted because the left does not know at all about these files and these are not tracked. So cannot delete them.

>>>> Deletes on the right will not be resurrected without any changes on the left to those files. If you update on left such files, they will get resurrected. Since the delete on right has no bearing on the left, it cannot come back on its own.

Do you see other results. If so, can you please tell me what version of SyncToy are you using.

Friday, February 25, 2011 10:17 PM