"Another user is updating the information for" account locked for 3 weeks! RRS feed

• Question

• This is why people hate Microsoft.  Useless ... completely useless code that runs this site.  No phone number to call, no email responses no nothing except for terrible code that locks up my site.  Don't bother investing any time in this site.  I have submitted this post 3 times and nobody responds!

Typical Microsoft crap!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:44 AM

Answers

• Dr. Rory Lewis, 

I can understand your frustration,  we're trying to improve the efficiency of our process, to make user happier.  given limited resources, we can't do everything perfect at the same time.  we appreciate your patience and constructive feedback. 

thanks. 

-xin

Academic Search Team

• Marked as answer by xinz [msft] Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:42 AM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:35 AM

All replies

• Hello Rory,

Thanks for your feedback! Sorry for the delaying and overlooking of the request you submitted. Due to our process, once you submitted a request, further operations of the same author could not be approached until the previous one got verified, which usually takes a up to several weeks for the changes to appear online. We've already approved your request and it will be online a few days later.

Your suggestions and comments are welcomed, you can post them on the forum, or send email to us: acadfb@microsoft.com

(You can find the email address and more info about us on this page: http://academic.research.microsoft.com/About/Help.htm#1)

ps, this is REALLY the first time we saw your message on this forum...sorry again for our cursoriness...

Best wishes

Microsoft Academic Search Team
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:33 AM
  • [your commenting site, btw, does not appear to work with Safari.]

There is no way you can keep up with this anyway but via crowdsourcing (as with Wikipedia).  Let us edit our own page, without adult supervision, but with logins, and then you guys just handle the complaints.  Doing it the way you are now only takes something that is otherwise pretty impressive and turns it into  something that's just irritating

Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Hi Blake,

Thanks for your advice. Actually, reviewing all requests from users also expand our workload. We're still working on improving quality of our website, meeting users' need at the same time, by giving more authority such as profile editing, etc. Yet this goal may take us some time to achieve, and we really appreciate understanding and cooperation from our users. 

Best wishes

Friday, January 28, 2011 2:45 AM
  • Caroline,

thank you for the response.  I apologize if I was snarky there but @Blake below seems to nail it on the head when he says that this site does not work with Safari.

I'm on IE now and will stay here.  OK.  Carlone what do I do to edit my page, my University and all the other stuff that has been wrong.  I've never logged in and after nearly FOUR weeks now I cannot log in to my page! Please tell me what I must do.  YOUR system thinks I've been logged on for 4 weeks editing my page.  THIS IS WRONG.

Can you 1) unlock my account, and 2) email me rlewis@eas.uccs.edu

Note that I did upload this image of myself.  BUt when I tried to change it FOUR weeks ago to not say University of North Carolina where I received my PhD 3 years ago to wher I now treach and do research (University of Colorado at Colorado Springs) my account locked.  Since then I've not been able to edit it and your system has said somebody ELSE is in my account PLEASE!  Why is it so difficult for Microsoft to do such a simple thing - allow me to edit my own account.  Why can you not simple unblock and send me an email saying its OK now - go ahead?

Thank you.

Publications: 22 | Citations: 41 | G-Index: 6 | H-Index: 4
    Collaborated with  13 co-authors , from 2005 to 2010

Rory

Friday, January 28, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Hi Rory,

We can have more communication via email, thanks.

Best wishes

Friday, January 28, 2011 6:36 AM
  • Carolyn,

for a minute I thought there was hope when you said there would be contact with me. However, I am sorry to say that Lin Qi says this:

"The only thing we can say is please just keep waiting ... due to our process, it may take a up to several weeks for the changes to appear online ..."

So as we enter the 5<sup>th</sup> week you want me to wait a few more weeks before I can EDIT MY OWN ACCOUNT!

THIS IS PATHETIC!

How dare Microsoft, you and your department believe it’s OK to have my name continue to have totally incorrect information out there for journal reviewers, our peers and everybody out there who is examining our profiles.

Its widely known you could reset my name on the server to allow me to edit the incorrect and career ruining information on my account.  Instead you, Li Qi, Academic Research Department and Microsoft Corporation prefer to do NOTHING.  Make no mistake, your negligence and unconscionable apathy results in SLANDER, LIBEL and NEGLIGENCE on Microsoft’s part.

I am hereby serving you, LI QI, the entire Academic Research Department and Microsoft Corporation that I have warned and given suffice and due notice to release me account back to me so I can take out the incorrect information on my page.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:48 PM
  • Hi Rory,

Actually Caroline and Lin are the same person...which is me...I can see your angry, but I promised we have done things we could do, and you just cited the only one sentence from my email to you, avoiding those appreciations and apologizes, which I said sincerely to you. I feel sorry about that. Please be kindly aware that my team and I are paying high atttention on your case. It is just that we have to follow the process designed.

Your profile can be edited by yourself soon, after the new data online, which may takes a up to several weeks.(the reason for this is our system been regularly updated and all operations will be realized after the updating, and since the new updating has been done, new data will be online very soon) Thanks for your patience again...

Best wishes

Sunday, January 30, 2011 3:12 AM
  • OK, I did not know that "Angela Wong", "Caroline" and "Li Qi" are all the same person~!  Mmm  

OK I will wait a couple more day and see ...

Thank you.

Monday, January 31, 2011 5:24 AM
  • hi, Dr. Rory, 

we just update our web site, your profile is corrected by our editors (with the info they could verify),  your profile if free of any lock.  you can go ahead to edit it and submit your change.   again,  if anyone submit changes to a profile,  that profile would be locked until verified/rejected by editors.  it usually would take several business days for a change to come online.  

thanks. 

-xin 

Academic Search Team

Monday, January 31, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Dear Xin,

thnak you very much.  I am now going to edit my information.

I am sorry that things got a little tense at times but I am thankful that you took the time the time to help me.

regards.

Rory

Monday, January 31, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Dr. Rory Lewis, 

I can understand your frustration,  we're trying to improve the efficiency of our process, to make user happier.  given limited resources, we can't do everything perfect at the same time.  we appreciate your patience and constructive feedback. 

thanks. 

-xin

Academic Search Team

• Marked as answer by xinz [msft] Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:42 AM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:35 AM
  • I am having somewhat similar problem

my author ID is: 3571644 and whenever I try to access my own information I get a message :

Another user is updating the information for Author/......

It seems that the major problem here is that Microsoft are not doing something like Facebook with some sort of digital certificate that authenticate

the user or seems that they want to allow people to edit other people's accounts - which is not right

This is not temprary problem. For days, I am not able to access my account and I get that message

Izzat

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:26 AM