XBOX 360 refuses to see WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried everything I've found on internet so far to get XBOX 360 to see WHS.   It saw it just fine (with the WHS guest account disabled) prior to the XBOX update that added all the 'avatars' and pretty stuff last year (i.e. it worked when it was just simple 'blades' I think they called it).   I don't have time to get on the XBOX much and the family isn't down often to gather around on the couch and watch family videos/pictures via XBOX, but they were recently and that's when I discovered it no longer works.

The other 4 computers on my network see WHS just fine, so it's not a firewall issue.   The XBOX 360 also downloads and plays games on line just fine.

I have disabled and re-enabled the 3 media sharing sources on WHS (Music, Video, Picutres).

I have turned the 3 media sharing sources off and then rebooted and then turned them back on.

I enabled the WHS guest account with no password.   Rebooted.

I have rebooted router.   I have ensured router isn't blocking any services or has port forwarding set up on anything.

I don't know what else to do and I'm very frustrated as one of my main reasons for choosing the XBOX 360 over the PS3 was for the ability of it to see the media on my WHS.   I would appreciate any step by step instructions that someone has to offer.

Thanks!

Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:28 PM

All replies

• I've tried everything I've found on internet so far to get XBOX 360 to see WHS.   It saw it just fine (with the WHS guest account disabled) prior to the XBOX update that added all the 'avatars' and pretty stuff last year (i.e. it worked when it was just simple 'blades' I think they called it).   I don't have time to get on the XBOX much and the family isn't down often to gather around on the couch and watch family videos/pictures via XBOX, but they were recently and that's when I discovered it no longer works.

The other 4 computers on my network see WHS just fine, so it's not a firewall issue.   The XBOX 360 also downloads and plays games on line just fine.

I have disabled and re-enabled the 3 media sharing sources on WHS (Music, Video, Picutres).

I have turned the 3 media sharing sources off and then rebooted and then turned them back on.

I enabled the WHS guest account with no password.   Rebooted.

I have rebooted router.   I have ensured router isn't blocking any services or has port forwarding set up on anything.

I don't know what else to do and I'm very frustrated as one of my main reasons for choosing the XBOX 360 over the PS3 was for the ability of it to see the media on my WHS.   I would appreciate any step by step instructions that someone has to offer.

Thanks!

It sounds to me like a problem with your 360, not WHS.  You might try posting in the XBox forums.

Having said that, are you going to the Videos/Music/Photos section on the 360 to find your server?  The NXE (New XBox Experience) update from last November changed how you connect to media streaming devices.  (You should see your server there, plus any hard drive/flash drive you have connected to your 360 as well.)
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:54 PM