none
Synchronizing RRS feed

• Question

• I do not want Synctoy to delete any files ( under what circumstances would it anyway?) but simply make two folders identical in their content.  I assume Synchronize does what it says and nothing more.  Can someone explain a little more about what the three below actually do.  I want to make sure I am not deleting something in "Synchronize" mode when I run the process.

• Synchronize: New and updated files are copied both ways. Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other.
  • Echo: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right.
  • Contribute: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames on the left are repeated on the right. No deletions.
Saturday, January 2, 2010 5:12 AM

Answers

• Hi -

SyncToy would delete files on one side if you deleted some files on the other side. It looks like you just need the Synchronize option where any change made on any side will b reflected on the other side as well.

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:32 PM

All replies

• How does 63 people read this thread and noone has a reply????????
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 4:17 AM
  • Well, maybe it's because many felt that the descriptions were clear enough?

However, to try and clarify more... Synchronise WILL delete files and folders - from BOTH sides - so if you have 'most recently' deleted a file or folder on either side - i.e. it makes an identical copy of the most recent activity.  Delete a folder on one device, and it will be deleted on the other, once you sync.

Echo WILL delete files on your 2nd device (the right folder) if you have deleted them on the 1st folder.

From what you said Contribute is closer to what I think you want, it will NEVER delete files from the 2nd (right) device), although if you change a folder or items name it will change the name to match the new name.  Your data will never be removed from the 2nd device..even if you delte from the 1st, so you CAN endup with two divices that are not identical.. as device 2 has MORE data than the 1st (which you have deleted files or folders from.

Hope that helps.

Try some simple tests - also look on Wikipidea for more on Sync Toy 

Sunday, January 3, 2010 11:14 AM
  • Hi JSHollis,

I am not quite sure about your scenario and request.

But I think you can try creating 2 folder pairs with “Contribute” mode. One folder pair is set your first sync folder as Left Folder, and the second one as the Right Folder. And for the other folder pair, you let your second sync folder as the Left Folder, and your first one as the Right Folder. Then when you sync between the 2 folders, you run the both the 2 folder pairs.

If this approach cannot help you, would you please talk more details about your scenario?

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Hi -

SyncToy would delete files on one side if you deleted some files on the other side. It looks like you just need the Synchronize option where any change made on any side will b reflected on the other side as well.

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:32 PM