Automating "Repair Remote Access" Using Task scheduler RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS 2011 setup that pretty much works without any major issues except one.

Often, I find that I can not access the server remotely. This is usually a router issue since "repairing" the connection using the "repair remote access" wizard in Dashboard fixes the issue always. The problem is that I have to get back home to  have local access to the server to do this. This is quite annoying and often inconvenient since most of my documents are kept on the server. Besides checking the website before leaving home or enabling remote router admin, I would like to attempt a software solution to this problem.

Is there a way to automate the repair remote access wizard using task scheduler so that it runs at a fixed frequency- say every 12 hours or so.

My WHS has a reserved IP

Besides uPNP the ports are manually forwarded to the WHS on the router.

Router is DIR-655 from D link.

I did look at the following thread that has previously mentioned this issue.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/2a6e0a1b-d345-4670-9818-64aaad1d3503

Thanks for your input.

Saturday, July 7, 2012 11:23 AM

Answers

• With some routers, UPnP does not quite work well and you will often have to run the repair wizard.  I have two DIR-655's at different locations and both display the same behavior.  I found it best to turn off UPnP in my router and manually forward the ports.  The article below will assist you.  It may even contain specific directions for your router.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:09 AM
    Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:14 PM
  • There is no way to run the "repair" wizard automatically, I'm afraid. If your router drops it's configuration regularly, I'd recommend replacing it.

Saturday, July 7, 2012 8:21 PM

All replies

• There is no way to run the "repair" wizard automatically, I'm afraid. If your router drops it's configuration regularly, I'd recommend replacing it.

Saturday, July 7, 2012 8:21 PM
  • With some routers, UPnP does not quite work well and you will often have to run the repair wizard.  I have two DIR-655's at different locations and both display the same behavior.  I found it best to turn off UPnP in my router and manually forward the ports.  The article below will assist you.  It may even contain specific directions for your router.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg
    Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:14 PM