none
6421A MOC Material Versus 70-642 Self-Paced Training Kit RRS feed

• Question

• Just a question for everyone out there really...

Did anyone else find that following the 6421A material just confused things for them ?

In my view, the MOC course structure bears little resemblance to the 70-642 book and has become for me just a series of flash-cards with no real detail.

In fact, in most practice tests I've done for the exam, the book helps far more than the MOC material every did - even the out-of-date first edition :)

The above applies especially in understanding the relationships between RRAS/NPS/NAP etc. The MOC stuff really doesn't give a clear explanation of this ( or at least uses inappropriate phrases that mean little).

Agree/Disagree ?

Friday, April 29, 2011 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As a Microsoft Certified Trainer, I have a lot of experience with the MOC courseware.  MOC courseware often has a different focus than the training kits.  The training kits focus on giving you most (I agree with Rich that they may not give 100% coverage of exam objectives) of the information you need to know so that you can pass an exam. Even with the training kits, there is no substitute for experience with the technology stack.

MOC courses often focus on job tasks and not on exam objectives.  Courses may follow the general flow of objectives for exams, but the intention is to help a student learn how to do a job. For the 6421A course, what do you need to know if you will be the one keeping a network alive and well?

MOC courses do not by design include the breadth and depth of a training kit book. The emphasis for the course is on concepts and some details.  The biggest advantage for the course is your instructor.  This is where you can ask specific questions and get into more depth.

For me, it is great to take an instructor led class to learn new things.  To fill in knowledge gaps and prepare for exams, I use practice exams, white papers, help files, and of course the training kits.

You might want to consider supplementing your learning by working with some of the Microsoft Virtual labs. The virtual labs give you environments and scenarios similar to the labs in MOC courses.  They include a guide to help you complete the tasks in the scenario.  Microsoft often publishes a number of virtual labs to introduce new technology in preparation for a product release.  Here is the URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb512925

Please consider voting for this post as helpful or marking it as an answer if it answered your question.

Thanks,

Mike Corkery, MCT, MCITP, MCPD, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD, MSF, MCP, etc.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:26 PM

All replies

• I have quite a few Microsoft certifications under my belt and I have used the MS Press books as my main source of study material for each of them.  While they may not contain 100% of the material needed, I typically set up a home lab to practice the materials for better understanding as well.

Rich Prescott | Infrastructure Architect, Windows Engineer and PowerShell blogger | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    Windows System Administration tool
    AD User Creation tool

Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Hi,

As a Microsoft Certified Trainer, I have a lot of experience with the MOC courseware.  MOC courseware often has a different focus than the training kits.  The training kits focus on giving you most (I agree with Rich that they may not give 100% coverage of exam objectives) of the information you need to know so that you can pass an exam. Even with the training kits, there is no substitute for experience with the technology stack.

MOC courses often focus on job tasks and not on exam objectives.  Courses may follow the general flow of objectives for exams, but the intention is to help a student learn how to do a job. For the 6421A course, what do you need to know if you will be the one keeping a network alive and well?

MOC courses do not by design include the breadth and depth of a training kit book. The emphasis for the course is on concepts and some details.  The biggest advantage for the course is your instructor.  This is where you can ask specific questions and get into more depth.

For me, it is great to take an instructor led class to learn new things.  To fill in knowledge gaps and prepare for exams, I use practice exams, white papers, help files, and of course the training kits.

You might want to consider supplementing your learning by working with some of the Microsoft Virtual labs. The virtual labs give you environments and scenarios similar to the labs in MOC courses.  They include a guide to help you complete the tasks in the scenario.  Microsoft often publishes a number of virtual labs to introduce new technology in preparation for a product release.  Here is the URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb512925

Please consider voting for this post as helpful or marking it as an answer if it answered your question.

Thanks,

Mike Corkery, MCT, MCITP, MCPD, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD, MSF, MCP, etc.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:26 PM