Windows vista home premium Product Key issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have just done a reformat of my Toshiba satelite notebook.  When I purchased the notebook about 4 years ago it came with Vista home premium and has a sticker/decal on the bottom of the notebook with the 25 digit product key and has an official microsoft proof of licence certificate.  However when I use outlook, I keep on getting a message that the product key is incorrect. I enter the correct product key and keep on getting this message. Question:  what do I need to do to sort this problem out.  ???? 

Monday, March 29, 2010 12:15 AM

Answers

• Hello REARSPAR,

The answer to your question depends upon how you acquired Office.

If you purchased it in a separate retail package, the product key is located on a yellow-orange Proof Of License label inside the retail package.

If a full license for an edition of Office (vs. a Trial of Office) was purchased preinstalled on the laptop, then the product key would be printed on an Office Certificate of Authenticity.  If the laptop shipped with Office reinstallation discs, then the CoA for Office would be on the cardboard sleeve in which the disc(s) are stored.  If the laptop shipped with no discs, then the CoA for Office would be on a cardboard card.

If the laptop shipped with a Trial of Office and you decided to purchase the Trial directly from Microsoft, after your purchase you would have been emailed a confirmation of the purchase along with the Product Key for the Office product you bought.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, March 29, 2010 5:02 AM

All replies

• Hello REARSPAR,

The Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on the bottom of your laptop is for the Windows Operating System only, which you stated is Vista Home Premium on your laptop.  This Product Key is only for the installed Windows and should not be expected to activate any version, edition, or Trial of Office.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, March 29, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Dan, My mistake then.  My next question is that

I cant find any other 25 digit product key. If I have lost it is there another way of retrieving the original office product key.l

regards

Monday, March 29, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Hello REARSPAR,

The answer to your question depends upon how you acquired Office.

If you purchased it in a separate retail package, the product key is located on a yellow-orange Proof Of License label inside the retail package.

If a full license for an edition of Office (vs. a Trial of Office) was purchased preinstalled on the laptop, then the product key would be printed on an Office Certificate of Authenticity.  If the laptop shipped with Office reinstallation discs, then the CoA for Office would be on the cardboard sleeve in which the disc(s) are stored.  If the laptop shipped with no discs, then the CoA for Office would be on a cardboard card.

If the laptop shipped with a Trial of Office and you decided to purchase the Trial directly from Microsoft, after your purchase you would have been emailed a confirmation of the purchase along with the Product Key for the Office product you bought.

Monday, March 29, 2010 5:02 AM