none
70-647 - failed 3 times and need advice for new material RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. Long time reader first time poster. :)

I have failed this exam 3 times. Admittedly, the first attempt was 2 years ago where I didn't study and got a measly 400 odd. The second attempt in February where I got 620. The third attempt I actually suffered an exam crash and couldn't complete it. The last attempt was yesterday where I got only 548! My result page showed almost equal strong/weak values for every category. The exam had changed in the last 3 months and included questions on ForeFront, for which which had no mention of on the Microsoft Learning site and therefore I didn't know anything about it.

The materials I was using are:

• Microsoft Self-Paced Training kit 70-647 1st edition (well outdated)
    • MeasureUp questions on CD with the aforementioned book.
    • Technet - lots of Technet!
    • Trainsignal and YouTube for when I wanted to see a visual of how to run through a wizard to better memorise certain elements.

I am now forced to retry this exam in 3 weeks in order to retain as much knowlege as I can, but will need to obtain new materials and test questions. I have considered getting the 2nd edition of the Self-Paced book but given the speed these exams seem to change I'm not sure it will be up to date enough to cover the current question topics. I am also looking at new test questions from SelfTest (http://www.selftestsoftware.com/certtestprep/practice-test/microsoft/70-647.kap), as per Microsoft recommendations. has anyone used these before? Are the current and well kept?

Beyond this I am clueless as to what I need to do different in order to pass this exam. I have now accumulated 11 weeks of study time for this exam and I still only get half the questions right. Perhaps a current cheat sheet or study guide written very recently that someone can suggest? When I did my VCP's I used a reference card from vReference which was brilliant!

Thank you for your time.

TippyG

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:25 AM

Answers

• Here is a list from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exam.aspx?ID=70-647&locale=en-us#tab3

Would buy the second edition of the press book as it covers the 2008 R2 information which is the latest and what would be on the test. That should be a huge help. Also did you install the software from the book? The questions on that disk are great for preperation because they have a great explanation for why the answer is what it is. Also if you have access to setup a test lab and run through the labs in the Press Book. They are really good for some hands on.

The class 6436 is great for designing and good for this test. The Pro tests are all about designing and this class walks you through all the design information which would help for this test. That is my normal routine for preparing for Microsoft tests and I usually feel pretty good going through the tests.

Good luck!

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:43 AM