Onecare Virus Protection, Defender and Firewall Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, been reading extensively and found no subject that quite addresses this:

When computer starts, Onecare is loaded, but with Virus Protection, Defender and Firewall are turned off.  All settings I have set to start with windows.  None of the components activates.  I manually have to start Firewall and Defender.  Firewall remains running, but Defender will randomly shutdown.  Virus protection is reporting this "Windows Live Onecare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported.  Use the program's automatic updating feature, or contact the program manufacturer for an updated version."  Nothing I do, will fix this and that has included, uninstalling and reinstalling.  Manually trying to start virus protection.  Try to update Onecare (there seems no way to do this or use the Automatic Update features of the program.)  I have and always ensure my computer has the latest updates, last update April 11, 2009.  So, no updates at this time.  All programs installed on the computer were there before OneCare was installed, and no problem existed previously. 

Okay, I have Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32-bit installed on my laptop, 2 gigs ram, dual core, etc.  Motherboard was recently changed out under warranty.  Any help to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Gazza
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• One Care turns Defender off and it is best to leave Defender off. Check that your computer date and time are set correctly. If the date and time are set correctly try uninstalling One Care again, run the cleanup tool - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943 ( save the cleanup tool to your desktop, right click the tool and select "Run as Administrator") then reinstall One Care. If the issue persists please contact support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:30 PM
  • It sounds as if the Windows Security Center is not recognizing OneCare. This can happen if the WMI database is corrupt. See this post:

Windows Security Center fix - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecarefirewall/thread/c0ca9eb2-14b0-4591-be85-4b7fd1700191/

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:15 PM
  • This happened through an update to Windows Security Center (and is not a Live One Care issue). It is corrected with the application of Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (see below), and I am trying that now.

Microsoft has confirmed that this is an issue in Vista’s security center that does not affect your security protection. It is not a OneCare problem; there are also reports of the same problem with other security programs. Here’s one discussion with people describing the problem and reporting back from Microsoft about the cause. It may be fixed by an automatic update to OneCare shortly but no one has promised that yet. (Technical detail: apparently there’s a change in the way security programs report their status to Windows Security Center that was not scheduled to take effect until September 2009. Something caused it to come to life two months early.)

Although it’s possible to turn off those warnings in the Windows Security Center (click on “Show me my available options”), the problem is apparently permanently fixed when Vista Service Pack 2 is installed. It’s a good excuse to install Service Pack 2 if you haven’t gotten to it yet.

Cheers

Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:22 PM
  • NerdGirl,

Though in the context of the current issues of the last few days your answer is correct, this particular thread is over three months old, so at that point the current issue didn't exist.

Anyone getting the same symptom today should follow your links to the related ththreads.  However, for this particular thread the current solutions did not apply.

Rob
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:46 AM
  • NerdGirl,
    I started experiencing this same exact problem last week which Gazza described in the original thread in April. 
    Rob Koch - it's the SAME EXACT problem no matter when it appeared. 
    I now wonder how many others are having the same problem?  Beyond that, I wonder why MS hasn't issued some sort of patch or fix as that would be great customer service.  OneCare doesn't publish a help number which contributes to the frustration.  I've also heard that MS is no longer supporting OneCare as they are getting ready to launch a new improved product.  That aside, it sounds like a MS software rev gone wrong as it's effecting more anti virus than just OneCare.
    I'm not a techie person and luckily just happened across this thread.  YAY - I thought I had some sort of virus.  I tried to install Vista Service Pack 2 but it timed out and stopped : (  Did that work for anyone else?

Guess I have to put up with this little demon until MS sees fit to release a patch in September.

Carrie9961
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 1:42 PM
  • NerdGirl,
    I started experiencing this same exact problem last week which Gazza described in the original thread in April. 
    I now wonder how many others are having the same problem?  Beyond that, I wonder why MS hasn't issued some sort of patch or fix as that would be great customer service.  OneCare doesn't publish a help number which contributes to the frustration.  I've also heard that MS is no longer supporting OneCare as they are getting ready to launch a new improved product.  That aside, it sounds like a MS software rev gone wrong as it's effecting more anti virus than just OneCare.
    I'm not a techie person and luckily just happened across this thread.  YAY - I thought I had some sort of virus.  I tried to install Vista Service Pack 2 but it timed out and stopped : (  Did that work for anyone else?

Guess I have to put up with this little demon until MS sees fit to release a patch in September.

Carrie9961

If the problem began this past week, see this thread:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareupdate/thread/297455ff-0484-4dd6-9627-ca1b0e30b015
    The original post from this thread is *not* the exact same problem, because OneCare and the Security Center eventualy communicate/

A fix will likely be provided to OneCare in the future, but it won't be immediate since it is a code update.
    OneCare subcriptions will be fully supported through the end of their terms.

You can reach OneCare support per the instructions here:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

And, for help with getting Vista SP2 installed:

Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

Vista Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732#tab0

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 9:02 PM
  • NerdGirl,

<SNIP>

Carrie9961

Carrie,

To be even more clear so you might understand what Steve and I are saying, the symptom (message about the change in reporting to WSC) is identical.  However, the actual problem that caused the message to display for you is entirely different, since the problem you're having wasn't displaying itself anywhere before a few days ago.

And don't feel you need to defend NerdGirl, because I was only pointing this fact out to her so she doesn't make this same mistake in the future, not telling her she couldn't help.  If this original thread had been within the past week she'd probably have been correct, it simply wasn't correct for this particular old thread.

Rob
    Monday, July 20, 2009 5:45 AM