Trouble removing disk through remove option in console RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to remove a drive from the pool it starts the removal process and chugs along for a while and then just stops and disappears. When I restart the console the drive is still part of the pool but it has more free space on it. So I repeat the process and it does the same. Any clues as to what the problem is? As this has happened before when removing another drive and after restarting the process 10+ times it eventually did remove the drive.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:49 AM

All replies

• If the drive you're attempting to remove is experiencing errors, you could see this sort of behavior. Can you run chkdsk on the drives in your server? That may show a failing drive sooner than Windows Home Server itself will, because Windows Home Server doesn't alert immediately on disk errors. Only after the regular disk health checks show issues several days running will you get an error.

You may also want to vote on this feedback on Connect; I think the removal wizard is rather fragile when errors are encountered, and there's significant room for improvement. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Many thx, interestingly enough the reason im removing it is that smart in my Bios is reporting it as failing as well as HD Sentinel a windows xp temprature and monitoring tool.

However the smart add-in for WHS console picks up nothing. Very confusing and concerning.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 2:23 PM
  • If the drive you're attempting to remove is experiencing errors, you could see this sort of behavior. Can you run chkdsk on the drives in your server? That may show a failing drive sooner than Windows Home Server itself will, because Windows Home Server doesn't alert immediately on disk errors. Only after the regular disk health checks show issues several days running will you get an error.

You may also want to vote on this feedback on Connect; I think the removal wizard is rather fragile when errors are encountered, and there's significant room for improvement. :)

Ken,

I tried to vote on the connect feedback (I even registered just so I could this) but the page is not available. Is it possible the link is broken or do I just not have the rights? I was stuck trying to remove a drive last night since it is failed and the remove wizard kept coming back with something like a shared file violation. After that I definately think the removal wizard could use some modification.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Try this one. Also, did you join the Windows Home Server Connect site? And are you sure you've been granted access to it?
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:51 PM
  • Well I signed up for and am able to login, but then I just get an orange header. I don't know about being granted access though

But I don't want to hijack Tony's thread. Do you have a link I can follow to help me look into it?

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:40 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue. So carry on hijacking :)
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:52 AM
  • Tony,

one thing that Ken asked kept popping into my head. "And are you sure you've been granted access to it?"

So I went looking.  If I click on the link that Ken suggested I get the orange banner.  But after a few seconds a blue link to the Micosoft Connect Welcome Page pops up. 

I clicked on the link and opened the welcome screen. From there I clicked on "HOME" in the top left corner of the page.

Then clicked on "see all connections" at the top middle of the page.

From there you can scroll down,  w a a a a y y y y down until you find Windows Home Server.

There you find an "apply" button which seems to be a web form to request permission to join.  I'm assuming that if you fill out this form, the link that Ken provided will suddenly become much more useful.

I didn't fill it out because I'm at work, but it seems to make sense that this is what Ken was referring to.

Friday, March 26, 2010 8:34 PM