Dynamic Worksheets in Office 2013 Excel - I can't copy the data definition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

This is a trixy one ... please help if you can:

Normally I use Excel Dynamic Worksheets as a powerfull reporting option for CRM 2011. For CRM online it is not possible to modify number of columns or filter after creating the first report, but you can overcome this by exporting a new Dynamic Worksheet data definition sheet, and then copy the dataarea into a old report (after taking into consideration extra columns).

Normally in Office 2010 when you copy the area with data, it also copied the underlying data definition. This made it possible to copy this into another Excel sheet / report.

BUT in Office Excel 2013 this is not possible (at least I can't figure out how).

QUESTION: so my question is if anyone know HOW TO COPY A DATA-AREA INCLUDING THE UNDERLYING DATADEFINITION IN EXCEL 2013???

Thanks in advance!

Henrik

Resultater med Microsoft CRM

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:19 PM

Answers

• Found a solution - will post it if anyone else have same problem:

Since Windows 8 and Office 2013 have a tendency to open up new Excel sheets in a separate application window (meaning that Excel will open twice with one spreadsheet in each instead of opening up Excel once and then open up each spreadsheet in same Excel) the problem seems to arise.

To make it Work:

1. Make the new CRM 2011 Dynamic Excel worksheet with the new data definitions (change columns or filters in CRM)
    2. 'Save As' this new file (B) somewhere (I allways convert to a normal Excel file instead of an XML file)
    3. Open the old Dynamic Excel worksheet (A) (where you wanted to change the filters / columns)
    4. Select the data area in A, hit delete, and say yes to delete the underlying data definition also
    5. Open the new file B, select the dynamic data area (place cursor in area and hit ctrl+A and then copy)
    6. Change to file A, and paste the new definition into the area where the old definition was

A tip if you use Pivots, and want to avoid smahing up existing reports:

a) if you add columns in new defition (in file B - always add to the end of the existing columns in case you use calulations in Excel) then you can insert the same amount of columns in file A INSIDE the dynamic data area before deleting the data area. This will preserve the existing pivot tabels when you refresh data - and add the new columns to your Pivot data source

Resultater med Microsoft CRM

• Marked as answer by WIKAP.dk Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:21 PM
    • Edited by WIKAP.dk Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:23 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:21 PM