2wire 2701-router and linksys wrt54g-also a router RRS feed

• Question

• how would a hook them together i have my home server connected to a swtich and then connected to my 2wire dsl modom. i have 2 servers ones for a school project and i need port on it and my modom only takes one computer to have port fowerding so is thare a way to connect the two. if so can i have a guide

sorry about the spelling im late for work and i want to try it when i get home.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:39 PM

Answers

• Not sure what you're getting at, if you mean forwarding the same port to multiple devices, I don't think thats possible on any router (maybe it is but not in my experience)

The 2wire is extremely annoying but it is capable of forwarding different ports to different devices (again my experience is with the 2700 not the 2701).

As I said I don't really know exactly what your needing out of this but if I am understanding correctly it should work like this:

Net connection into your 2wire, 2 wire via ethernet to your linksys then linksys to your servers and other devices. I am assuming that the linksys is a "proper" router and not another ADSL modem router if its not then this wont work.

Find out what IP subnet the 2wire is working off of, most likely 192.168.0.XXX
    Set your linksys' local network to use a different internal subnet (10.0.0.XXX or 172.16.0.XXX or variations thereof)
    In the linksys set the ISP or WAN settings to Dynamic IP/DHCP (connected to the 2Wire it should be given an IP of 192.168.0.XXX if its as I suspect it is above)
    In the 2wire's firewall settings you will need to setup the linksys as a DMZ (not sure of the exact settings but if its like the 2700 its simple enough). All inbound connections will then be forwarded to the linksys router.
    Setup the port forwarding you need to setup in your linksys should be all good (Your linksys will be running the DHCP server for the rest of your internal network or it could be setup static if you like)

If your thinking about operating one server on the 2wire and the other on the linksys, the above instructions would also apply but connect one of your home servers directly to the 2wire instead of the linksys... like below

DSL Connection ---> 2wire Modem Router -- to WAN port--> Linksys Router
    -- > Home Server 1
       |
       Home Server 2

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:45 PM

All replies

• Not sure what you're getting at, if you mean forwarding the same port to multiple devices, I don't think thats possible on any router (maybe it is but not in my experience)

The 2wire is extremely annoying but it is capable of forwarding different ports to different devices (again my experience is with the 2700 not the 2701).

As I said I don't really know exactly what your needing out of this but if I am understanding correctly it should work like this:

Net connection into your 2wire, 2 wire via ethernet to your linksys then linksys to your servers and other devices. I am assuming that the linksys is a "proper" router and not another ADSL modem router if its not then this wont work.

Find out what IP subnet the 2wire is working off of, most likely 192.168.0.XXX
    Set your linksys' local network to use a different internal subnet (10.0.0.XXX or 172.16.0.XXX or variations thereof)
    In the linksys set the ISP or WAN settings to Dynamic IP/DHCP (connected to the 2Wire it should be given an IP of 192.168.0.XXX if its as I suspect it is above)
    In the 2wire's firewall settings you will need to setup the linksys as a DMZ (not sure of the exact settings but if its like the 2700 its simple enough). All inbound connections will then be forwarded to the linksys router.
    Setup the port forwarding you need to setup in your linksys should be all good (Your linksys will be running the DHCP server for the rest of your internal network or it could be setup static if you like)

If your thinking about operating one server on the 2wire and the other on the linksys, the above instructions would also apply but connect one of your home servers directly to the 2wire instead of the linksys... like below

DSL Connection ---> 2wire Modem Router -- to WAN port--> Linksys Router
    -- > Home Server 1
       |
       Home Server 2

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Get a switch: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156210.  Works just fine with my 2700 2wire modem/router.  I have only 1 WHS on it, tho.

Monday, March 17, 2008 11:41 PM