Windows XP Pro Recover/Reinstallation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an OEM version of Windows XP Pro installed that came with my computer.  It originally had SP 1A, but has been upgraded to SP3 through the windows updates.  I now want to do a reinstall of xp to hopefully fix some problems I am having without losing all my data.  When I insert the SP1A disk that came with the computer, it tells me that I have a newer version of xp on the computer (SP3) and it can not do an upgrade install, but can only do a complete install where I will lose all my data.  Now, I also have another OEM disk for another computer that has XP PRO SP3 on it.  Is there a way I can use this disk on my machine to do the reinstall without losing my data?  The problem I am having is with internet explorer.  It will not open at all.  I have tried all the troubleshooting ideas I can find and nothing works.  This is my last resort, before biting the bullet and doing a complete reinstall where I loose all my data.  I can back up all my files of course, but I hate to loose all my program settings and other things that I have customized over the years.  (Yeah, this is an older computer!!)

Thanks,

Stephen

Monday, March 21, 2011 3:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please repost your inquiry in the more appropriate Windows XP Answers Forum.  Thank you!
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:20 PM
  • All OEM disks must be booted to and they will overwrite the hard drive.  They will not do an in-place upgrade like a full retail or upgrade disk can do.  Back up all you can't afford to lose. Boot witth the OEM disk and reformat and reinstall Win XP. Your only option even with retail if you don't remove SP3 or have a retail disk with SP 3 on it.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 11:37 PM