MS CRM 4.0 Creating an order directly from an opportunity... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to MS CRM and have been tasked with creating an Order directly form the Opportunity form via an button that should be located at the top of the window.

The Opportunity should be closed automatically and the Order window opened.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

CES

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:59 PM

Answers

• Hi CES,

You'll need to use the SDK.

Create a custom ASPX page which will take in as a parameter the GUID of the Opportunity.

In CRM 3.0 Request.Querystring["oID"], CRM 4.0 Request.Querystring["ID"].

Create the Order using the opportunity GUID. Save the GUID of this order to a variable.
    Next close your opportunity.

Lastly forward the current ASPX page to the newly created Order. To find the URL, go to a current order, press F11 to see the URL and replace that GUID with your newly created GUID.

You will use Server.Transfer(URL) from your ASPX page to display the new window to the user.

Cheers,

Karlo

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hi CES,

You'll need to use the SDK.

Create a custom ASPX page which will take in as a parameter the GUID of the Opportunity.

In CRM 3.0 Request.Querystring["oID"], CRM 4.0 Request.Querystring["ID"].

Create the Order using the opportunity GUID. Save the GUID of this order to a variable.
    Next close your opportunity.

Lastly forward the current ASPX page to the newly created Order. To find the URL, go to a current order, press F11 to see the URL and replace that GUID with your newly created GUID.

You will use Server.Transfer(URL) from your ASPX page to display the new window to the user.

Cheers,

Karlo

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Maybe the task is more simple than I had first thought...

When I am on an opportunity, I can click the [Orders] button in the left nav and then click [New Order]. This populates all the fields.

How would I go about closing the opportunity after this button was clicked...I presume there is a way I can access the javascript onclick event and close with javascript....am I on the right track?
    Friday, November 14, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Hi CES,

When you say 'Close the opportunity', do you want to close the Opportunity window or change the status of the Opportunity?

Thanks,

Karlo
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 7:09 AM
  • Hi CES,

This is perhaps the default workflow in CRM. You first have to create a quote and then order. The opportunity will close automatically.

Thanks
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 11:45 AM