New WSH Build, suggestions, caveats? RRS feed

• General discussion

• So I finally broke down and ordered my parts for a WHS, should be here Monday. Went with...

-Antec Mini P180
    -GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L
    -Celeron 430
    -2GB Crucial DDR2
    -Antec EarthWatts 430
    -2x WD 750GB HDDs, the green series with variable RPMs

I'm going to install from a thumb drive (per the article on HSH), and I addeda Netgear gigabit switch to my network today. I've got drivers for everything (the video driver is for XP but I've forced a few XP drivers on Server 2003 before, so that doesn't worry me).

So, opinions? Anything I should know? Thanks for a input.
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 11:37 PM

All replies

• Looks ok from my point of view, although a DVD drive (even an USB attached) is not that expensive (and I have no experience with using WHS setup from an USB stick).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:57 AM
  • Yea, it wasn't so much the price as the fact it would be idle so much of the time and I didn't feel like ripping the drive out of my desktop system for a one-off build. If time goes by and it turns out to be more useful I can always add one. Thanks.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:04 PM
  • The Gigabyte chipset and audio have 2003 drivers, but for the audio I would probably do a manual install since you probably won't want any audio utilities running.
    LAN driver will probably have to be manually installed from the XP driver.
    The GMA3100 Video will work fine.  One of my WHS systems has it.

For the two WHS boxes that I have, the rack-mount server is also running minimalistic: case, power supply, C2D E7200, 4GB DDR2 RAM, fully integrated motherboard, one hard drive.  No CD/DVD drive, no kbd, no mouse, etc.

I'm fully documenting the system builds and putting them onto my web site, which the WHS area will be public soon.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:56 PM
  • I was considering just disabling the audio from BIOS, but yea, maybe I'll do a manual install just in case I want to use some feature later. Thanks.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 2:17 AM
  • Everything showed up yesterday and works like a charm. So far I'm very impressed with WHS, thanks for everyones input.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:01 AM