Money 2004 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can someone please help me resolve an issue I have with Money 2004 UK version 14.0.120.730  running on Windows 10.  The program has installed OK but it will not restore my backup file.  I get the error message: " Money cannot locate <var>filename</var> or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file, you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and then Restore your most recent backup file."  I have tried restoring the backup from Dropbox, from a USB stick and copying the file to My Documents and trying from there but all to no avail.  I originally had it running with Windows XP prior to purchasing a new laptop running  Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10.....I couldn't restore the backup with 8.1 either.  As you can imagine, I have years worth of data that I can't access.  I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  I don't know what else to try, so if someone has the answer I would greatly appreciate a response.

Thank you,

Joe Robson

Monday, August 31, 2015 3:46 PM

Answers

• First update to the latest functioning UK version of MSMoney (2005). It's free and there are links to it here. Get it up and running and create, and then back up, a sample file. Find out where these files are. Put your data/ backup file in the same folder. No guarantees of course!

Dr AS

• Marked as answer by eojnosbor Tuesday, September 1, 2015 8:56 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 4:03 PM
  • Do as Dr AS said. Note that your disk is actually Money 2005, although it just says Microsoft Money, Copyright 2004. No big deal, but you can throw that disk away, or take other steps to make sure you don't use it for an attempted install in the future.

• Marked as answer by eojnosbor Tuesday, September 1, 2015 8:57 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 7:38 PM

All replies

• First update to the latest functioning UK version of MSMoney (2005). It's free and there are links to it here. Get it up and running and create, and then back up, a sample file. Find out where these files are. Put your data/ backup file in the same folder. No guarantees of course!

Dr AS

• Marked as answer by eojnosbor Tuesday, September 1, 2015 8:56 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 4:03 PM
  • Do as Dr AS said. Note that your disk is actually Money 2005, although it just says Microsoft Money, Copyright 2004. No big deal, but you can throw that disk away, or take other steps to make sure you don't use it for an attempted install in the future.

• Marked as answer by eojnosbor Tuesday, September 1, 2015 8:57 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 7:38 PM
  • Thank you so much Dr AS for pointing me in the right direction, I was beginning to lose hope.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 8:58 AM
  • Great info from you and AS Carl.  So simple when you know how.  Thank you

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 9:01 AM