mcitp windows certification RRS feed

• Question

• i plan on taking the 2008 windows certification and i'm wondering if someone can help me with some information.

currently im looking at the mcitp training kit, is that enough to pass the test? 
    does the books come with a evaluation copy?  if so is it still for 180 days? 
    what sort of machine would you guys recommend i get for working through the books?

if you guys can help me with these questions i would appreciated it.

thanks,

kinarc
    Monday, July 13, 2009 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

While the MS Press training kits are good books for their certification and go a long way towards helping you pass an exam, however, If you don't have any experience with the product, you shouldn't be taking the exam. Certifications are meant to showcase your experience and knowledge about a certain product.

I am guessing the books come with a trial copy of 2008, but you can also download a copy here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx

As far as a machine, I would go virtual. Mainly because you will need more than just one machine. Since this is a Server certification you will be practicing communications and other tasks between multiple machines. Thats why its nice you have virtual, you can have many machines, running on just one.

Hope this helps.
    Eric
    Monday, July 13, 2009 7:33 PM
  • Johnny,

The link I provided above does not require any activation or keys to be put in, so you could install it multiple times. The trial last for 60 days however it can be extended (up to 240 days)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=13C7300E-935C-415A-A79C-538E933D5424&displaylang=en (Read the overview section)

As far as specs, Just make sure you have alot of RAM and hard drive space, Since you are running Vista I am guessing you have at least a gig or RAM, you would be better off with 2 or more. If your internal hard drive is small, you can get an external hard drive and just store the VMs on there.

Here is a list of Virtual Labs that might be helpful too.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb512925.aspx
    Eric
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:27 PM
  • System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista; Windows XP
    A virtualization product that supports the VHD format is required to use this virtual machine. Microsoft Virtual PC or Microsoft Virtual Server are provided for free and can be used with these VHD based virtual machines. Please refer to the Virtual Server 2005 R2 System requirements page here .

In addition to the System Requirements for the virtualization product, you will need additional disk and memory resources for running the virtual machine. This VHD is pre-configured to use approximately 10GB of hard disk space and approximately 1024MB of memory.

That is copy and paste so those links don't go anywhere, however it comes straight from the link Rubel provided.

I am not sure if VMware can run VHDs, a quick google search would probably answer that. However the Microsoft Virtual PC software will work, and it is free.

Eric
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

While the MS Press training kits are good books for their certification and go a long way towards helping you pass an exam, however, If you don't have any experience with the product, you shouldn't be taking the exam. Certifications are meant to showcase your experience and knowledge about a certain product.

I am guessing the books come with a trial copy of 2008, but you can also download a copy here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx

As far as a machine, I would go virtual. Mainly because you will need more than just one machine. Since this is a Server certification you will be practicing communications and other tasks between multiple machines. Thats why its nice you have virtual, you can have many machines, running on just one.

Hope this helps.
    Eric
    Monday, July 13, 2009 7:33 PM
  • hi eric,

thanks you for the information and the link.  do you know how many copies i can download?  i "think" with the full kit we only get 1 copy for 180 days, while if i was to purchase the books individually every book comes with a 180 day copy, not 100% sure.

what sort of hardware spec do you recommend for the machine?  i'm using the free copy of vmware right now to create some virtual images with windows 2003, sadly the hp i purchase with vista dont have all the driver requirements for windows 2003.  i guess i can download a copy of windows 2008 and create a virtual image of it on the hp box and see if i encounter any driver issues.

again thanks!
    Johnny

kinarc
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:12 PM
  • Johnny,

The link I provided above does not require any activation or keys to be put in, so you could install it multiple times. The trial last for 60 days however it can be extended (up to 240 days)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=13C7300E-935C-415A-A79C-538E933D5424&displaylang=en (Read the overview section)

As far as specs, Just make sure you have alot of RAM and hard drive space, Since you are running Vista I am guessing you have at least a gig or RAM, you would be better off with 2 or more. If your internal hard drive is small, you can get an external hard drive and just store the VMs on there.

Here is a list of Virtual Labs that might be helpful too.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb512925.aspx
    Eric
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Eric,

Thanks for the clarification on the evaluation copy.

the hp machine i have at home, has 4gigs of ram, and hd space is about 500g.

i was reading through the forum just now and it appears there are some confusion as to the exam #.  please let me know if this kit is the correct kit to purchase;
    http://www.amazon.com/Self-Paced-Training-70-640-70-642-70-643/dp/0735625727/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247511613&sr=1-3

i noticed a post on the forum about a replacement for exam 70-640.  is that accurate information? 

thanks again.
    kinarc
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Johnny,

That kit will work fine. However that only covers the core exams, you need to pass either 70-620 or 70-624 (Vista Exams) I believe the Win 7 exams will count as well.

There is a replacement (kinda) for the 70-640, it will be 83-640 (as will be the other exams) It is still the same, however it is lab based instead of multiple choice.
    http://transcender.wordpress.com/2009/02/03/83-640-versus-70-640-which-mcts-windows-server-2008-active-directory-configuration-is-which/
    Eric
    • Proposed as answer by Eric Stauss Monday, July 13, 2009 8:49 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:48 PM
  • very cool.  can we download evaluations for vista 70-620?

kinarc
    Monday, July 13, 2009 10:23 PM
  • silly question but how do you use the vhd file?  can we just run the image on a windows machine?

kinarc
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:49 AM
  • System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista; Windows XP
    A virtualization product that supports the VHD format is required to use this virtual machine. Microsoft Virtual PC or Microsoft Virtual Server are provided for free and can be used with these VHD based virtual machines. Please refer to the Virtual Server 2005 R2 System requirements page here .

In addition to the System Requirements for the virtualization product, you will need additional disk and memory resources for running the virtual machine. This VHD is pre-configured to use approximately 10GB of hard disk space and approximately 1024MB of memory.

That is copy and paste so those links don't go anywhere, however it comes straight from the link Rubel provided.

I am not sure if VMware can run VHDs, a quick google search would probably answer that. However the Microsoft Virtual PC software will work, and it is free.

Eric
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Eric,

I downloaded the Virtual Server 2005 R2 last night and tried installing in on the vista home and it didn't take.  i might need to install xp on my machine or upgrade my current vista version. 

when you said go virtual early on this post, did you mean going virtual with the vhd's?  and not vmware?  if that is the case, ill do more research on the microsoft virtual pc.

thanks,

kinarc
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Hi,

When I said virtual earlier I meant any of the. I use VMWare just because thats what I use at work. I have also never used any of the vhds so I am not sure how those work.

Try running Virtual PC on your computer instead of Virtual Server. that might be easier.

Eric
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:25 PM