Enterprise Resources on Multiple Teams RRS feed

• Question

• How do I assign an enterprise resource to multiple teams in Project Server 2010? When editing the resource from the "Resource Center", under the "Team Details" section, in the "Team Name" field, the drop down only allows me to select one team. I need several resources to be on multiple teams.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:35 PM

Answers

• Hi BBrisbin,

Unfortunately, what you are trying to accomplish is not possible. The Team Name custom field only allows for selecting one single value. That's the way the Team Resources and Team Assignments feature in Project Server works.

If you are trying to set multiple teams for reporting purposes, and not for using the Team Assignments feature, keep in mind that you can create your own custom field and enable 'Allow multiple values to be selected'.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:40 PM

All replies

• Hi BBrisbin,

Unfortunately, what you are trying to accomplish is not possible. The Team Name custom field only allows for selecting one single value. That's the way the Team Resources and Team Assignments feature in Project Server works.

If you are trying to set multiple teams for reporting purposes, and not for using the Team Assignments feature, keep in mind that you can create your own custom field and enable 'Allow multiple values to be selected'.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:40 PM
  • Thanks, Hans. Unfortunately, I am trying to use the assignment feature.

In the Microsoft training manual for the class 5928A Microsoft Office Project Server 2010, Managing Projects, page 6-7, it states that "by specifying the resource(s) as belonging to one or more teams in the enterprise, team resources can be predefined to refelct specific resource teams or group that exist in the organization." After reading that, I was hoping to be able to assign one resource to multiple teams in the enterprise.

The goal is to provide project managers with a way to designate the type of work to be done and then have the team supervisor (default assignment owner) of the team make the assignment to an individual resource under his or her supervision. I will have to play more with generic resources to see if I can get the workflow and notifications to work in a similar fashion as team resources.

I am open to any creative suggestions on how I can accomplish this.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Hello Bbrisbin,

I would agree with Hans.H comments that the capability is not there.  I was hoping someone had a work around.

Also, the 5928A class is for PS 2007 and that feature was not available in that version either.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Michael, you are right, the class was 2007. If you or anyone discovers a work around, please post it. For now, I will try working with generic resources.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:50 PM
  • BBrisbin,

Here is one idea you might want to explore.

Instead of using the Team Resource feature, which allows for assigning tasks to team resources, you could take a look at the 're-assign task' feature.

You culd for example assign the tasks to the team leaders, and grant the team leaders the 'reassign task' permission. This allows them to distribute the tasks to their team members.

Regards,
    Hans

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Thanks, I will try that.

I am currently testing with generic resources. I want to add a "default assignment owner" to the generic resource when I set it up, but the option does not show as an available for generic resources.

I have done some searching and microsoft's web site says I should be able to do that (see bolded text in the copied section below). Do you know how to do this?

As always, I really appreciate the help!

"Best Uses    Add the Default Assignment Owner field to a resource sheet to view the name of the individual with the responsibility for entering actual work or reporting on status for an assignment. The default assignment owner is responsible for reporting on any assignments that do not have another assignment owner designated. The default assignment owner can also be responsible for assignments with material resources (material resource: The supplies or other consumable items that are used to complete tasks in a project.), and generic resources (generic resources: Placeholder resources that are used to specify the skills required for a specific task.). The default assignment owner is often the project manager who publishes the project to Microsoft Office Project Server 2007. Cost resources (cost resources: Resources that don't depend on the amount of work on a task or the duration of a task, such as airfare or lodging.) do not have assignment owners.

Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:17 PM