WHS confused - Wrong system drive RRS feed

• Question

• WHS seems to be a little confused. It says I have no drives at all and the assumed system disk (pointing at the wrong one) is missing, even though the actual system disk is working fine, but shown as "Not Added".

Picture

The actual system drive is "Volume_0000" while the ST31000340NS and the two other drives aren't included in the Pool.

Searching the forums I've found that C:\fs is critical in some way? Mine is empty.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 9:40 AM

Answers

• How did this start, have you any ideas, have you added more disks?

WHS always takes the first disk it sees as it's system disk, however if you start with one (or two,) disks and one isn't connected to 0000, then WHS will install just fine, as it's the first disk it sees. However, if you then add more disks, and one of these new disks now connects to 0000, then although WHS boots, (as there is still only one system disk,) it thinks the layout is wrong. In fact, if you now have to do a re-installation at any point, you will find it very difficult, as WHS will see the disk on 0000 as the disk it should be installed on, but all it sees is a blank disk and so will only offer a new installation option.

The second point, if you don't add the drives to the storage pool, then they won't show up in C:/fs/(x); when they are added to the pool, then they will be mounted at C:/fs and become visible.

How much data do you have on the system, as if you don't have much, I would be very tempted to do a complete new installation and let WHS take care of the disk order. However, if you do have a lot of data, then personally, I would identify each disk, switch off the system and disconnect the drives and re-add them with the WHS system disk now connected to 0000, with the other drives moved up the chain.

Colin

Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:23 AM

All replies

• How did this start, have you any ideas, have you added more disks?

WHS always takes the first disk it sees as it's system disk, however if you start with one (or two,) disks and one isn't connected to 0000, then WHS will install just fine, as it's the first disk it sees. However, if you then add more disks, and one of these new disks now connects to 0000, then although WHS boots, (as there is still only one system disk,) it thinks the layout is wrong. In fact, if you now have to do a re-installation at any point, you will find it very difficult, as WHS will see the disk on 0000 as the disk it should be installed on, but all it sees is a blank disk and so will only offer a new installation option.

The second point, if you don't add the drives to the storage pool, then they won't show up in C:/fs/(x); when they are added to the pool, then they will be mounted at C:/fs and become visible.

How much data do you have on the system, as if you don't have much, I would be very tempted to do a complete new installation and let WHS take care of the disk order. However, if you do have a lot of data, then personally, I would identify each disk, switch off the system and disconnect the drives and re-add them with the WHS system disk now connected to 0000, with the other drives moved up the chain.

Colin

Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:23 AM
  • Personally I would expect server reinstall to run no problem.

It should normally install on the primary boot disk. Just pop in in server installation DVD (all disks attached) and see what happens. You can always cancel it as long as you not go past the phase were it shows the available disk.

Please secure any data you don't want to loose by copying it to another disk / computer before you start.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:39 AM
  • It's a long series of stupid moves in order to try to "fix things". Looking back, maybe I should have done things differently 

I installed WHS on a single SATA drive, prepared for RAID (Volume_0000)
    Converted to a two disk h/w RAID1 setup (2x500GB).
    Added a second software RAID1 setup
    (2xIDE), with the built-in feature of Windows.
    Then added a 1000GB SATA drive to the pool.
    Everything worked fine this far.

Now, one of the 500GB drives turned out to be faulty, so I broke the RAID1 Volume_0000 to get the drive replaced.
    Using the WHS console, I removed the 1000GB drive from the pool and used it in the h/w RAID instead, while waiting for the new drive to arrive.
    So far everything worked fine.

When the 500GB drive came back, I took the 1000GB drive out of the h/w RAID and rebuilt
    Volume_0000 with the new 500GB drive.
    At this point everything was still working, but my next move should make things a little more thrilling...

I connected the 1000GB drive. At this point, it did not show up in WHS console, so I decided to remove the partitions on the drive. Obviously not a great idea, since... well, you've seen the results on the picture in my previous post.

Everything is still working fine, except that WHS seems confused and the backup service is not running (a message 'The Windows Home Server Computer Backup service is not running. Some [...]' showing upp everytime I start the console).

Since most things are still working, I thought I'd just ask here before taking it all from the beginning. Not so much data, but a lot of software to reinstall.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:40 AM
  •  Strip wrote:
    Since most things are still working, I thought I'd just ask here before taking it all from the beginning. Not so much data, but a lot of software to reinstall.

Good idea, but don't do software RAID. It's not supported on WHS and there's also no real need for this. WHS was designed with the idea that users don't need to deal with RAID and still have most of their data protected by duplication. 

With decent hardware RAID (which is also not supported AFAIK) the whole thing is much less risky

Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:22 PM