New CPU.. Now no subscription RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, updated my computer's CPU.. Computer hadn't been on in a week.  Won't update because it says I don't have a subscription, I checked my billing info and I purchased my subscription in August.  Currently 'red dot' status (instead of green or yellow).

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 8:50 PM

Answers

•  

The situation has resolved itself, but I felt the need to specify that the date and time were ok two or three days before it resolved itself so I don't think that was my problem.  Currently it is in the 'Yellow' code because I have a thing or two I need to do but I'm not sure how it fixed itself.

Unless it is well known that it takes a day or two to fix itself after the date and time are fixed then I'm sure that wasn't the problem.

Thank you again.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:59 PM

All replies

• I have the almost the same problem,keeps telling me I have to activate my subscription, I purchased it and have the key code and it says in use! I have contacted support by email with no response and this stephen boots guy keeps giving advice but he is only a user and i have already tried what he suggested. I want to talk to someone live! Why won't they give a phone number or direct email? Because there are so many thousands of people having problem!! Furthermore I have a brand new HP labtop and Internet Explorer keeps shutting down on me....so I installed Opera, anyone else having issues with Explorer should give Opera a try, it is awesome...............now if I can just get this fixed I won't be in such a grouchy mood!!!!!!
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:37 PM
  • To Frustrated,

I have  used different antivirus programs Mac afee,Avast,windows1care,Norton, I have found Avast to be the best for performance computers overclocking cpu,memory.ect and it's free and it works. It found virus' the others didn't.  I run a Gigabyte Ga-P35C-DS3R main board ,Core 2Duo E8400 cpu,Mushkin DDR2667memory 2seagate 320 gig @raid 0 when I overclock the cpu from 3.0ghz 2 3.5ghz I lose the ie7browser,windows control panel comes up blank with all but Avast...I run windows xp pro,,Vista home basic same problem on both os.  I might advise you to cut your losses and try Avast antivirus - the free version and use it with Windows defender.  It should work well for you.  I don't have an answer for you on the poor customer service, but my advice would be to try something else.  Avast is free and it works as does Windows defender.  You may also try Spybot search & destroy.  As we well know antivirus softwear along with antispam and antispywear is needed on your system. Again as I have said I have had no overclocking problems with Avast softwear.  I am currently using Windows live one care as we speak.  I will be switching back to Avast because I have had lockups on Windows today.  I know it is only $40 to $60 for this softwear, but what is your sanity worth?

Feel free to contact me at Tourcruiser2003@hotmail.com

Like you -- I'm tired of being DawgedAgain
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:04 AM
  •  Raymondonehundred1 wrote:

Ok, updated my computer's CPU.. Computer hadn't been on in a week.  Won't update because it says I don't have a subscription, I checked my billing info and I purchased my subscription in August.  Currently 'red dot' status (instead of green or yellow).

In OneCare, click Help/About

Does it show a Subscription ID?

Is this a reinstall of OneCare? Did you activate with the LiveID you confirmed as the one for your account at the Billing site?

Is your PC date and time correct?

-steve

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:17 AM
  •  frustrated!!!!!!! wrote:
    I have the almost the same problem,keeps telling me I have to activate my subscription, I purchased it and have the key code and it says in use! I have contacted support by email with no response and this stephen boots guy keeps giving advice but he is only a user and i have already tried what he suggested. I want to talk to someone live! Why won't they give a phone number or direct email? Because there are so many thousands of people having problem!! Furthermore I have a brand new HP labtop and Internet Explorer keeps shutting down on me....so I installed Opera, anyone else having issues with Explorer should give Opera a try, it is awesome...............now if I can just get this fixed I won't be in such a grouchy mood!!!!!!

In your series of posts, I have yet to fully understand your problem.

You say you've tried what I've suggested, but I don't know what the outcome of those suggestions are.

In any event, email me at sboots@mvps.org and tell me what country you are located in. Use a subject line that includes "OneCare" and tell me your forum if, "frustrated!!!!!!" in the message body. I will hook you up with support.

-steve

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:20 AM
  • One Care -> Help>About I do indeed have a Subscription ID and a Product ID.  This is not a reinstallation of windows One Care.  The only thing that has happened was that I upgraded my computer chip.

During this upgrade the battery for my motherboard was also flipped out and put back in.  This did indeed mess up the date and time but I have adjusted it manually.  Does it need to be more precise then manual adjustment? (the clock).

Stephen Wrote: "Did you activate with the LiveID you confirmed as the one for your account at the Billing site?"

The installation of Live One Care I have was active many months before I upgraded my Processor just a week ago.

Friday, March 21, 2008 10:33 PM
  •  Raymondonehundred1 wrote:

One Care -> Help>About I do indeed have a Subscription ID and a Product ID.  This is not a reinstallation of windows One Care.  The only thing that has happened was that I upgraded my computer chip.

During this upgrade the battery for my motherboard was also flipped out and put back in.  This did indeed mess up the date and time but I have adjusted it manually.  Does it need to be more precise then manual adjustment? (the clock).

Stephen Wrote: "Did you activate with the LiveID you confirmed as the one for your account at the Billing site?"

The installation of Live One Care I have was active many months before I upgraded my Processor just a week ago.

Yes, the date and time are critical to OneCare's proper functioning. If the date and time are way off, the subscription will show expired. Verify the date and time are accurate - be sure to check the year, too. A few minutes off won't be a problem, but months and years are.

If the date is not correct, and you are unable to click Check for updates in OneCare, I recommend that you reinstall OneCare and activate with the LiveID for your subscription to get things back in Sync, though it bothers me that it hasn't repaired itself by now if your date and time are indeed correct and you've been connected to the Internet.

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:15 AM
  •  

The situation has resolved itself, but I felt the need to specify that the date and time were ok two or three days before it resolved itself so I don't think that was my problem.  Currently it is in the 'Yellow' code because I have a thing or two I need to do but I'm not sure how it fixed itself.

Unless it is well known that it takes a day or two to fix itself after the date and time are fixed then I'm sure that wasn't the problem.

Thank you again.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Thanks for reporting back that the problem is resolved.

-steve

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:09 PM
  • same here!! and i cannot get a phone number for help so what did you do/?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:01 AM
  •  header7777 wrote:
    same here!! and i cannot get a phone number for help so what did you do/?

In the original discussion, it was reported that correcting the date and time and then waiting a few days resolved the problem.

What is your specific problem?

Did you reinstall OneCare and it is asking for payment?

If you have an active subscription, which is what was created when you activated on the first computer, you need to use the same LiveID on the subsequent activations. If you are arriving at a screen to purchase or provide a token, you are likely not using the same LiveID as the subscription ID.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate with.

If the activation dialog already contains a LiveID from a prior attempt or one used in trial mode, but this is not the one you need to activate with to associate it with your subscription, see this post for how to reset this - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

For more information see Instant Help - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us&querytype=topic&query=OneCare_PROC_FindLiveIDHelp.htm

-steve

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:32 AM