Demigrator.exe folder duplication RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I recently (about 2 weeks ago) removed from- and added a new drive to my WHS following the procedure.
    The drive removed was about 500GB, the drive added is 1TB.

When I log into the Home Server with the Connector Tool and I look at the Server Storage Tab it seems my Shared Folders and Duplicated Folders do not have the same size!
    Shared folders: about 723 GB
    Duplicated folders: 529 GB
    Backups: 16 GB

This worries me because my guess is now that if one of my drives fails, I'm going to lose data. 
    Personally, I have a few explanations for this but I would like to know which one of my assumptions is correct.

1) Demigrator.exe is not finished yet with it's duplication process and I should just wait.
    However: I'm seeing: 'storage balanced on...<today>'

2) WHS does not keep track of so called doubles.
    By this I mean, if I have 2 times a copy of file A in different folders, WHS will only phyiscally save one of them.
    However: I don't think ik have 200 GB (+/-) of these so called doubles.

3) Something logical that I have not tought of yet.

Thanks for the help!

Tom
    Friday, February 6, 2009 1:26 PM

All replies

• tdmt said:

Dear all,

I recently (about 2 weeks ago) removed from- and added a new drive to my WHS following the procedure.
    The drive removed was about 500GB, the drive added is 1TB.
    When I log into the Home Server with the Connector Tool and I look at the Server Storage Tab it seems my Shared Folders and Duplicated Folders do not have the same size!
    Shared folders: about 723 GB
    Duplicated folders: 529 GB
    Backups: 16 GB

This worries me because my guess is now that if one of my drives fails, I'm going to lose data.
    Personally, I have a few explanations for this but I would like to know which one of my assumptions is correct.

1) Demigrator.exe is not finished yet with it's duplication process and I should just wait.
    However: I'm seeing: 'storage balanced on...<today>'

It always shows the last time it balanced.  However, I find it difficult to to believe that it's not done after 2 weeks.

tdmt said:

2) WHS does not keep track of so called doubles.
    By this I mean, if I have 2 times a copy of file A in different folders, WHS will only phyiscally save one of them.
    However: I don't think ik have 200 GB (+/-) of these so called doubles.

Nope, definitely not this either.

tdmt said:
    3) Something logical that I have not tought of yet.

Thanks for the help!

Tom

First, I would double check each share and make sure you have Folder Duplication active on all of your shares.  If not, there's your problem.  If so, try disabling it on one share, wait a little while, then re-enable it and see if it works.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, February 6, 2009 2:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by tdmt Friday, February 6, 2009 2:07 PM
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:06 PM

• Hi,

thanks for your reply.

kariya21 said:
    It always shows the last time it balanced.  However, I find it difficult to to believe that it's not done after 2 weeks.

Now this confuses me... please define: 'Balanced'. 
    Does 'Balanced' mean that WHS now thinks everything is perfectly fine? Because obviously (and I think we both agree) it's not.

About every hour Demigrator.exe gives a go at it and I can see disk activity but I don't see my pie chart changing...

kariya21 said:
    First, I would double check each share and make sure you have Folder Duplication active on all of your shares.  If not, there's your problem.  If so, try disabling it on one share, wait a little while, then re-enable it and see if it works.

Ok, this makes sense, I'm going to try this and let you know what happens.

Thanks again, if you can clarify the 'Balanced' thing I'm marking your reply as the proposed answer.

Tom
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:15 PM
  • tdmt said:

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Now this confuses me... please define: 'Balanced'.
    Does 'Balanced' mean that WHS now thinks everything is perfectly fine? Because obviously (and I think we both agree) it's not.

The time shown is the last time it successfully balanced all of the data (which happens every hour, after a reboot, and after a share has Folder Duplication enabled/disabled).  Therefore, it should be balanced.  As to why it's not, I don't know.

tdmt said:

About every hour Demigrator.exe gives a go at it and I can see disk activity but I don't see my pie chart changing...

Ok, this makes sense, I'm going to try this and let you know what happens.

Thanks again, if you can clarify the 'Balanced' thing I'm marking your reply as the proposed answer.

Tom

Any chance you can post a link to pics of your Shared Folders and Server Storage tabs?  Also, what are the component numbers (Settings button, Resources tab)?
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:34 PM