Can Not enter validation key after Windows repair (complete re-install) completed. How can I do this? RRS feed

• Question

• I had a operating systems (Windows) problem on my PC which became so insistant that I could do absolutely no work.  I decided to re-initialize my Windows FAT32 Partition and re-install the software from CD's which came with the computer when I purchased it (XP Pro Home).  At the time of re-installation, I installed Windows without a Validation Key (could not find it - it was hidden on the lower rear pannel in a corner).  After completing installation (without a hitch), I located the Validation Key and decided to validate my Windows.  I did everything by the book (Start, All Programs, Accessories, ... BUT could not find a way to enter my Validation Key.  All other methods allowed requited that I re-purchase Windows and I just won't do that. I need help from anybody that can give it to me.  Thank you.
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 9:03 PM

Answers

• Please reinstall Windows the newly found product key.

-phil

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 9:34 PM

All replies

• Please reinstall Windows the newly found product key.

-phil

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 9:34 PM
  • Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 9:35 PM
  • I think you are referring to a "Product Key".  If your computer came preinstalled with Windows XP, and you received a OEM Windows XP recovery, reinstallation or restore CD, you do not need to enter the Product Key since the CD is BIOS-locked to that specific computer.
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 11:42 PM
  • I had initially installed Windows XP Professional (HP MultiMedia Edition) and eliminated the MultiMedia equipment from my computer and the installation that came with (pre-installed) on my PC seems to have "modified itself" over the course of the past 20 months and was, apparently, running fine and handling everything I wished to do, with a few exceptions, and I have added considerable "outside" programs and processes to the PC as well.  Such things as "off-line" computer games, which I purchased from the vendors, and a few other items from non-MS vendors that are originally MS processes (MS OFFICE 2003 - full installations) and other non-MS routines to make web-surfing and downloading of .jpg, html, wmv, avi, mpeg, tiff, ix, and other such items, from the web without taking time to download them one-at-a-time by hand.  Everything went fine until I downloaded MS-Service Pack 2, which started all kinds of weird happenings, culminating in what could be called a "lock-up" with the exception that I could still re-start my PC, though I could NOT get rid of the error notification which prevented me from doing ANY KIND of work.

I recently (thought I did, but find I didn't, even though I apparently did until I re-started...) uninstalled Windows XP Professional MultiMedia Edition, and re-installed Windows XP Home Edition, on my PC and I managed to enter the proper Product Key (Validation Key... What-ever) and had a complete re-installation which appeared to be fine, but now I find that I have 2 versions of MS Windows XP on my PC and the "MultiMedia Edition" STILL needs validation, which I can not enter because the validation routine associated with Microsoft Products STILL requires that I "Buy a License, which I will not do. 

Thank you for your concern and your time and efforts.  They are deeply appreciated.

Bob Maynard

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 2:42 PM
  • Please run the tools stated above, it'll help clarify what is going on.
    Wednesday, August 2, 2006 5:21 PM
  • This is what is going on with me. I did the recovery, and now it is telling me my windows is not Auth. and it will not download my updates?

What do I do to fix this?

Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:42 PM
  • To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the  Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and Paste the report into your post, along with your question. 

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 8:36 PM