No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:9247 RRS feed

• Question

• Just purchased my Windows Home Server.

When I use the console, I constantly get the following error:

"No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:9247"

This looks like a firewall issue to me, but I don't know how to resolve it...
    Monday, November 2, 2009 4:17 PM

All replies

• Just purchased my Windows Home Server.

When I use the console, I constantly get the following error:

"No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:9247"

This looks like a firewall issue to me, but I don't know how to resolve it...

Does this happen from your clients (or just the icon on the server desktop)?
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Could you complete the Out of Box Experience (OOBE) stage like naming the server and installing the console in initial stage?
    Can you connect to your home server using Remote Desktop, user account Administrator and the console password?
    Do the system time and time zone of the server and the client match?

Did you install any security stuff on your home server or change its firewall settings? If so, you may have to perform a server recovery.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:13 AM

• Just Client...
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Yes on Out of Box Experience.  Running Win 7 Ultimate with Forefront Client.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:49 PM
  • I have also just purchased a Windows Home Server and I'm getting the same error. 
    After running the install CD and completing that process, I loaded ESet Nod32 antivirus on the home server following ESet's directions which includes doing an rdp session to the Windows Home Server.  I can't tell if the error occurred before or after doing this.  Any rate, it's really annoying and the System status screen is basically worthless as it's not updating things like total disk space, cpu usage, etc.  And I'm constantly prompted about the error in the Windows Home Server Console.

I can Remote Desktop to the Server and yes the system time and time zones match.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 5:19 AM
  • Installing security suites, which are not designed especially for the requirements of Windows Home Server on Windows Home Server may break its functionality.
    This fits for Antivirus software and also for products providing a software firewall other than the Windows Firewall.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:17 AM
  • Uninstalling ESet Nod32 fixed it.  As the problem appears to be a firewall issue and the ESet Nod32 does NOT have a firewall component (but ESet Smart Security does), I didn't think this would fix it but it did.  So I guess I'll have to use the McAfee AV for now (not really happy with that being the only choice).

However I had a Home Server Critical Health issue that then popped up.  Apparently this is common for the EX94x line of servers.  It was fixed by following instructions in the following thread:

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/forum/thread/13085/HP-Media-Collector-Please-Update-Client-Software/;jsessionid=5A1808BFB9CFF04017E93403152FBD30

In particular the entry that states:

- Ran the WHSConnectorInstall.exe program from location "\\Hp-server\Software\Home Server Connector Software\" This program uninstalled and reinstalled the client software.
    - After the upgrade, the HP software now listed as HP Media Smart Server 3.0 Update 1, version 3.0.14.33080 (now similar to the server version number)
    - There was some intermittent bugs with the console. Was not updating the system status page. After rebooting both client and server a few times, this problem went away.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 11:06 AM
    So I guess I'll have to use the McAfee AV for now (not really happy with that being the only choice).
    There are other options. I use Avast! for Windows Home Server, which integrates into the console and provides central management of Avast! products on all home computers with AV software. There's also a version of Bitdefender which the publisher says is compatible with Windows Home Server. I don't have it installed, so I can't speak to it's functionality.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Well I competely un-installed ESet Nod32 but I'm still getting:

no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:9247 Windows Home Server

from time to time.  Rebooting the WHS clears it but I would like a permament solution to make this go away.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:43 PM
  • Well I competely un-installed ESet Nod32 but I'm still getting:

no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:9247 Windows Home Server

from time to time.  Rebooting the WHS clears it but I would like a permament solution to make this go away.
    The best option would be to do a Server Reinstallation.  It wipes the OS partition, but leaves the data in tact.  Otherwise, the best course of action would be to contact eset for support.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 7:46 PM