WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>82e3953e-05a9-4ab5-8e11-7bc2d3256dd6</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YD4YT</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1547161642-492894223-854245398</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>KM400_</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>B69235B70184205B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>5CD126EC1561DD4</Val><Hash>y+bG9Hmy/bod3BDnLwwIt1+rRy4=</Hash><Pid>73931-746-7492832-57066</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Hello what was given to me was the original cd and carrying case of Windows XP HOME Edition version 2002 It does have A product key on the carrying case and cd is a "3-D" type cd and on the back it has some numbers and letters. So I already know there's a problem since the report says I have Windows XP Pro Edition this Pc is my second PC My first desktop OS is Windows XP Pro Edition which iI bought from an individual just as I did my second & third one, but I don't own nor do I have access to a Windows XP Pro Edition CD. How could have this happened? I do recall when I first set up my 2nd PC. it did look different, what I mean is the icons and start up menu looked choppy,grainy not as defined as my 1st PC (winxp pro) and with in time I can't say when it improved, Also I checked to see what version my 1st pc has and it's the one on the report Sad5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0. Pro) Now I know Why.. So My Question is How can I save All my software rhat came with this system ? I believe I am going to have to remove this version and re install windoes xp home edotion am I correct? Please advise me on what I must do next and how can I save my info. Thank you so much for all your advice and directions 

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:13 AM

Answers

• Newbie,

Your computer has a hacked copy of an OEM Dell XP Pro installed on it.  Installing an OEM license for XP on a computer not provided by the OEM is a violation of the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  Please remove this installation of XP Pro as soon as possible.

To answer your question, there is no Microsoft-supported method of "reverting" an installation of XP Pro down to an installation of XP Home.  It has to be done the old-fashioned way, which is a clean installation of XP Home using a genuinely licensed copy of XP Home.

To answer your other question, you cannot specifically "save all my software that came with the system" because it will all be erased when you do the clean installation.  Normally a purchase of software includes the CD or an online account that permits downloading of the software from its publisher or authorized reseller; from either of these you would of course do a clean installation of each softare program after installing XP Home.  Given the circumstances of the purchase as you described, if all you received from the previous owner was the installed software without receiving the genuine CDs, licenses, and associated materials for that software, it's very likely that either the software was not properly licensed by the previous owner in the first place, or that the owner did not intend to sell you the software because s/he retained the CDs and associated materials to include the licenses for said software.

You can use any number of traditional backup programs to backup and save your valuable data before you do the clean installation.  Windows XP comes with a Backup Program as well as the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Finally, nothing says that the copy of XP Home in your possession is a genuine copy that will yield a valid, licensed installation.  Windows Operating Systems are not considered to be genuinely licensed unless you have a Certificate of Authenticity for the copy in your possession.  A genuine CD does not necessarily mean you have a valid license.  Please have a look at the counterfeit gallery to evaluate your XP Home CD:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:29 PM
  •    Hello Dan,

I just want to thank you for your straight forward and honest way of confirming what I knew upon reading the report "I've Been Hoodwinked" lol What else can I say, at first I thought okay I still have the Genuine Windows XP Home Edition and it will be alright. NOT No Way IT TOO IS A COUNTERFIET!! so ALWAYS REMEMBER if sounds to good to be true IT Probably IS TOO GOOD To Be TRUE !!  So a very Expensive lesson learned.. I will do a clean sweep and since writing for advice last night  I Backed up all my  Media, pictures favorites etc.  So until I can afford a RETAIL Copy of Windows XP PRO this PC will have an extended vacation. Boy, You think you found yourself a deal,and a few months down the road you find yourself in a pickle..   Thanks  From A SMARTER  Newbie 

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:48 PM
  • Newbie,

I am sorry to hear what you have experienced. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take. 

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please go back to the retailer where you either purchased the system and/or upgraded the operating system. Let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Curious was your computer turned in for repairs and was the hard drive reformatted?  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for your software is not genuine.  Also you can submit a piracy report. The will help others in the future who have done business with a particular store and/or web store.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeits.  In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your software.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 11:09 PM
  • Newbie,

Sorry that this had to happen to you.  There's one more thing that you should know about.

Have a close look again at the XP Home CD you have, and then at the counterfeit gallery.  If your XP Home CD is just like the hi-quality counterfeits shown in the gallery, Microsoft will replace it with the real MCoy for free.  That would be the Complimentary Offer below.

Here's an excerpt from the FAQ at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en:

Q: What are the details of the genuine Windows offer?

A:

To help customers who unknowingly purchased a counterfeit version of Windows XP, Microsoft has created two genuine Windows offers for those who qualify:

• Complimentary offer: Microsoft will make a complimentary copy of Windows XP available to customers who have been sold counterfeit Windows. Customers will be required to submit a proof of purchase, the counterfeit CD, and a counterfeit report with details of their purchase. Only high-quality counterfeit Windows will qualify for the complimentary offer.
    • Electronic License Key Offer: Microsoft will offer an alternative for customers who find out via the WGA validation process that they are not running genuine Windows, but do not qualify for, or choose not to take advantage of, the complimentary offer. These customers will be able to license a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP directly from Microsoft for a special on-line purchase price. The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP will include a new 25-character Product Key and a Windows Product Key Update tool that will allow customers to convert their counterfeit copy to genuine Windows XP electronically.

Remember, you have to have a hi-quality counterfeit CD, as determined by Microsoft.  It takes about 4-6 weeks from the time you submit the CD and the report to get the free replacement.

To submit the report, you'd have to install the counterfeit XP Home, then install WGA Validations and Notifications, then click on the Get Genuine prompts to begin the reporting process.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:15 AM
  •  

Well hers the strange thing I called Microsoft about this situation and gave them all info and they ask me to uninstall this version which I don't have an earlier version to restore from ... But they said My Windows Xp home edition that I got when I bought this system Is Genuine!! they will activate it and a technicain has taken ownership of my case, I even have a case Number! Can you believe that? they even called me back I am amazed!! the technician and hub center is in India and they are concerned about me!! wow, By the way I bought this system from an individual on CRAIGSLIST.ORG . It's going to alright as soon as I uninstall and some how i must install windows 98 before i can do that? is that right there is no option to un install Xp in the add or remove window /control panel icon ...Thanks for your concern and I can't beieve how Microsoft is totally helping me they even said we could do the un install together but I must provide a restore point and that's where an earlier version of windows come into play !! i am flabbergasted..and very thankful that ithis problem ended up with a happy ending..

Thank you for everythingand giving me options on how to handle this very embarrassing and hurtful issue

Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:13 AM
  • Ruby,

You are very welcome. We are here for our customers and try out best to ensure everyone has assistance and is happy. Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Newbie,

Glad things are going your way!

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:49 PM

All replies

• Newbie,

Your computer has a hacked copy of an OEM Dell XP Pro installed on it.  Installing an OEM license for XP on a computer not provided by the OEM is a violation of the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  Please remove this installation of XP Pro as soon as possible.

To answer your question, there is no Microsoft-supported method of "reverting" an installation of XP Pro down to an installation of XP Home.  It has to be done the old-fashioned way, which is a clean installation of XP Home using a genuinely licensed copy of XP Home.

To answer your other question, you cannot specifically "save all my software that came with the system" because it will all be erased when you do the clean installation.  Normally a purchase of software includes the CD or an online account that permits downloading of the software from its publisher or authorized reseller; from either of these you would of course do a clean installation of each softare program after installing XP Home.  Given the circumstances of the purchase as you described, if all you received from the previous owner was the installed software without receiving the genuine CDs, licenses, and associated materials for that software, it's very likely that either the software was not properly licensed by the previous owner in the first place, or that the owner did not intend to sell you the software because s/he retained the CDs and associated materials to include the licenses for said software.

You can use any number of traditional backup programs to backup and save your valuable data before you do the clean installation.  Windows XP comes with a Backup Program as well as the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Finally, nothing says that the copy of XP Home in your possession is a genuine copy that will yield a valid, licensed installation.  Windows Operating Systems are not considered to be genuinely licensed unless you have a Certificate of Authenticity for the copy in your possession.  A genuine CD does not necessarily mean you have a valid license.  Please have a look at the counterfeit gallery to evaluate your XP Home CD:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:29 PM
  •    Hello Dan,

I just want to thank you for your straight forward and honest way of confirming what I knew upon reading the report "I've Been Hoodwinked" lol What else can I say, at first I thought okay I still have the Genuine Windows XP Home Edition and it will be alright. NOT No Way IT TOO IS A COUNTERFIET!! so ALWAYS REMEMBER if sounds to good to be true IT Probably IS TOO GOOD To Be TRUE !!  So a very Expensive lesson learned.. I will do a clean sweep and since writing for advice last night  I Backed up all my  Media, pictures favorites etc.  So until I can afford a RETAIL Copy of Windows XP PRO this PC will have an extended vacation. Boy, You think you found yourself a deal,and a few months down the road you find yourself in a pickle..   Thanks  From A SMARTER  Newbie 

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:48 PM
  • Newbie,

I am sorry to hear what you have experienced. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take. 

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please go back to the retailer where you either purchased the system and/or upgraded the operating system. Let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Curious was your computer turned in for repairs and was the hard drive reformatted?  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for your software is not genuine.  Also you can submit a piracy report. The will help others in the future who have done business with a particular store and/or web store.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeits.  In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your software.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 11:09 PM
  • Newbie,

Sorry that this had to happen to you.  There's one more thing that you should know about.

Have a close look again at the XP Home CD you have, and then at the counterfeit gallery.  If your XP Home CD is just like the hi-quality counterfeits shown in the gallery, Microsoft will replace it with the real MCoy for free.  That would be the Complimentary Offer below.

Here's an excerpt from the FAQ at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en:

Q: What are the details of the genuine Windows offer?

A:

To help customers who unknowingly purchased a counterfeit version of Windows XP, Microsoft has created two genuine Windows offers for those who qualify:

• Complimentary offer: Microsoft will make a complimentary copy of Windows XP available to customers who have been sold counterfeit Windows. Customers will be required to submit a proof of purchase, the counterfeit CD, and a counterfeit report with details of their purchase. Only high-quality counterfeit Windows will qualify for the complimentary offer.
    • Electronic License Key Offer: Microsoft will offer an alternative for customers who find out via the WGA validation process that they are not running genuine Windows, but do not qualify for, or choose not to take advantage of, the complimentary offer. These customers will be able to license a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP directly from Microsoft for a special on-line purchase price. The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP will include a new 25-character Product Key and a Windows Product Key Update tool that will allow customers to convert their counterfeit copy to genuine Windows XP electronically.

Remember, you have to have a hi-quality counterfeit CD, as determined by Microsoft.  It takes about 4-6 weeks from the time you submit the CD and the report to get the free replacement.

To submit the report, you'd have to install the counterfeit XP Home, then install WGA Validations and Notifications, then click on the Get Genuine prompts to begin the reporting process.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:15 AM
  •  

Well hers the strange thing I called Microsoft about this situation and gave them all info and they ask me to uninstall this version which I don't have an earlier version to restore from ... But they said My Windows Xp home edition that I got when I bought this system Is Genuine!! they will activate it and a technicain has taken ownership of my case, I even have a case Number! Can you believe that? they even called me back I am amazed!! the technician and hub center is in India and they are concerned about me!! wow, By the way I bought this system from an individual on CRAIGSLIST.ORG . It's going to alright as soon as I uninstall and some how i must install windows 98 before i can do that? is that right there is no option to un install Xp in the add or remove window /control panel icon ...Thanks for your concern and I can't beieve how Microsoft is totally helping me they even said we could do the un install together but I must provide a restore point and that's where an earlier version of windows come into play !! i am flabbergasted..and very thankful that ithis problem ended up with a happy ending..

Thank you for everythingand giving me options on how to handle this very embarrassing and hurtful issue

Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:13 AM
  • Ruby,

You are very welcome. We are here for our customers and try out best to ensure everyone has assistance and is happy. Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Newbie,

Glad things are going your way!

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:49 PM