No Option to Load SATA Driver RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to load the 120-day trial WHS on an older computer with an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe other board with a 750 GB SATA hard drive. After I boot from the DVD, the screen shows a white progress bar and "Windows is loading files." Then it goes to a black screen with a scrolling green bar at the bottom and hangs up (the green bar stops scrolling). I have let the computer sit for a day and nothing.

When I installed Windows XP, I was given the option in the loading files stage of the install to press F6 to load the SATA/RAID drivers via floppy, which I did and the installation continued. I do not get this option with the WHS instalaltion.

Is there any way to overcome this problem so that I can load the SATA driver and continue with the installation? Thanks in advance.
    • Edited by Jallen_45 Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:28 PM
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:27 PM

All replies

• The recommended method is to change the SATA controller mode in Bios to PATA (ATA, IDE).
    (And never try to use RAID mode.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response Olaf!

The only setting to do this is the one in the Advance Bios Features section which allows me to choose from SCSI & RAID. Switching those back-and-forth do not help. Also, if I set the jumper on the motherboard to disable the onboard SATA controller, I can only use an IDE drive. I did not set up the drives in a RAID configuration because of all the warnings posted.

This project came about because my old IDE hard drive was running out of space and did not meet the minimum requirements for WHS so I though I would do a low cost upgrade and see how WHS worked. I can go back to Windows XP if need be. In fact, if anyone knows a good thread on how to set up a Windows XP file server please let me know; in case I can't find a better solution.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their ideas!
    Monday, July 27, 2009 12:16 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response Olaf!

The only setting to do this is the one in the Advance Bios Features section which allows me to choose from SCSI & RAID.

Nothing about Legacy mode (or anything similar) for the SATA ports?  Do you even get to the first installation window (where it says you are installing Windows Home Server)?

Switching those back-and-forth do not help. Also, if I set the jumper on the motherboard to disable the onboard SATA controller, I can only use an IDE drive. I did not set up the drives in a RAID configuration because of all the warnings posted.

This project came about because my old IDE hard drive was running out of space and did not meet the minimum requirements for WHS so I though I would do a low cost upgrade and see how WHS worked. I can go back to Windows XP if need be. In fact, if anyone knows a good thread on how to set up a Windows XP file server please let me know; in case I can't find a better solution.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their ideas!

Monday, July 27, 2009 2:47 AM
  • Nothing about Legacy mode (or anything similar) for the SATA ports?  Do you even get to the first installation window (where it says you are installing Windows Home Server)?

Correct! I do not get to the first installation window.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:20 AM
  • To which port is your DVD drive connected?
    If also SATA, try one of the first 4 ports on board.

Besides that, has your mainboard one or more controllers? Some have legacy SATA controller and additional RAID controller. (RAID controllers, especially those on board, are sometimes only working well in a real RAID configuration, but not in a single disk scenario.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:35 PM
  • "To which port is your DVD drive connected?
    If also SATA, try one of the first 4 ports on board."

My DVD drive is connected as the master drive in the primary IDE connector on the board.

"Besides that, has your motherboard one or more controllers? Some have legacy SATA controller and additional RAID controller. (RAID controllers, especially those on board, are sometimes only working well in a real RAID configuration, but not in a single disk scenario.)"

My motherboard has one onboard controller with two connections (labeled SATA_RAID1 & SATA_RAID2). My SATA drive is connected to the SATA_RAID1 connector on the motherboard. Again, I have not configured the drive using the motherboard's firmware RAID configuration utility.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 9:09 PM
  • After reading the relevant portions of your motherboard's user manual, I'm not convinced that you can operate a single SATA disk in a non-RAID mode (RAID 0 or RAID 1). And I'm not certain that you can boot off of a SATA array.

Given that your motherboard is over 4 years old at this point you may want to consider obtaining a newer board...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 27, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Since you have 2 SATA RAID sockets on your motherboard and everyone is saying that you may need 2 HDDs connected at anyone time, my advice then is if you have a spare hdd to try it (MAKE SURE ANY DATA YOU WANT IS BACKED UP), as older hardware should work with WHS aswell as the new.
    HMG
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:52 AM