How many drives do I need for a highly reliable system? RRS feed

• Question

• hi

I'm lokoing at setting up an Acer H340 WHS server for a friend's very small business. The system comes with 1 x 1Tb drive standard but I was going to add another drive to reliability.

If the system has 2 drives I believe I can set up a folder so it is duplicated across both drives. So, hopefully, the data stored on the wHS shares will be protected against a sinle drive failure. Is that how it works?

I'm a little confused about what happens with the desktop PC backups & the WHS system files. Is there any way to protect them against a single drive failure?

We plan to back the system up to an external hard drive regularly. We also plan to use CrashPlan to back the shares up to a remote server.

I'm trying to replace a Windows Server 2003 machine running RAID5 - it's major overkill and needs to be replaced (it was 2nd hand 6 years ago...) I wasn't worried about hard drive failure with that system because of the hardware RAID.

thanks

Peter

Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:22 AM

All replies

• Two drives protects your share against the loss of a single drive, for any share for which you enable duplication. It doesn't protect the OS, or the backup database. Off-site backup is a good thing; it allows you to protect your data from major disasters.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Two drives protects your share against the loss of a single drive, for any share for which you enable duplication. It doesn't protect the OS, or the backup database. Off-site backup is a good thing; it allows you to protect your data from major disasters.

Is it possible to protect the OS and backup database by adding more drives?

peter

Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:53 PM
  • Is it possible to protect the OS and backup database by adding more drives?

peter

The backup database can be backed up by following the instructions in this Technical Brief (or by using an add-in called BDBB).  As for the OS, no.
    Monday, April 12, 2010 12:00 AM