update where I can install RRS feed

• Question

• is there a way to keep my one care in Good Status, and have my windows update set to let me install what ever updates come in - my dell 531 pc was crashed by sp1 update- so i really want to see an update before installing it--i know i need the important and recomended--i want to see the oppional updates sure hope someone can help

---Thanks in advance---Linda

and i do like my new Windows Live One Care

Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:51 PM

Answers

• In short, no. OneCare requires the automatic download and install, though you can defer until a time you specify. So, that means to be green, these are the only two settings it is happy with. Note that *only* important and critical updates will be downloaded. To see and install Optional updates, you need to visit Windows Update. Vista SP1 was originally listed and deployed as optional and then pushed later as a critical update, so once offered, it had to be installed or OneCare would go yellow for the Missing update.

I'll paste some saved text I have on this topic that I have used to reply on this topic in the past:

"I agree with your assessment that forcing the setting to automatically install is bad for me (and you). However, I can tell you from personal experience that there are many, many people who happily ignore Windows Updates - even when they are set to notify - and end up with severely compromised systems. I have personally repaired dozens of systems where the AU icon was alerting the user about updates to be applied and based on the number of updates available, that icon was alerting them for months and sometimes years!

What I would prefer is that OneCare required that Automatic Updates was *on* for any settings desired in order to be green. Since OneCare already does a check of Windows Update for updates not yet offered and installed by Automatic Updates when a Tune-up is performed, I think OneCare should perform that check daily and/or check for the state of AU in that when an update is offered as available, OneCare should change to yellow alert status. If the user then ignores the warning yellow status for 24 hours, OneCare should turn red. If another 24 hours elapses without action by the user, OneCare should switch on AU to automatically install the updates and provide a dialog to the customer that this action was taken and why.

Since that functionality does not currently exist in OneCare, we need to live with the simplistic setting requirement that AU must be set to automatic download and install at a specified time of our choosing. Pick a time that is least likely to impact you. You cannot change the way OneCare warns you if you do not have AU configured this way."

-steve

Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:48 PM

All replies

• In short, no. OneCare requires the automatic download and install, though you can defer until a time you specify. So, that means to be green, these are the only two settings it is happy with. Note that *only* important and critical updates will be downloaded. To see and install Optional updates, you need to visit Windows Update. Vista SP1 was originally listed and deployed as optional and then pushed later as a critical update, so once offered, it had to be installed or OneCare would go yellow for the Missing update.

I'll paste some saved text I have on this topic that I have used to reply on this topic in the past:

"I agree with your assessment that forcing the setting to automatically install is bad for me (and you). However, I can tell you from personal experience that there are many, many people who happily ignore Windows Updates - even when they are set to notify - and end up with severely compromised systems. I have personally repaired dozens of systems where the AU icon was alerting the user about updates to be applied and based on the number of updates available, that icon was alerting them for months and sometimes years!

What I would prefer is that OneCare required that Automatic Updates was *on* for any settings desired in order to be green. Since OneCare already does a check of Windows Update for updates not yet offered and installed by Automatic Updates when a Tune-up is performed, I think OneCare should perform that check daily and/or check for the state of AU in that when an update is offered as available, OneCare should change to yellow alert status. If the user then ignores the warning yellow status for 24 hours, OneCare should turn red. If another 24 hours elapses without action by the user, OneCare should switch on AU to automatically install the updates and provide a dialog to the customer that this action was taken and why.

Since that functionality does not currently exist in OneCare, we need to live with the simplistic setting requirement that AU must be set to automatic download and install at a specified time of our choosing. Pick a time that is least likely to impact you. You cannot change the way OneCare warns you if you do not have AU configured this way."

-steve

Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:48 PM
  • Thanks stephen

seeing I still have control of the optional updates that's what I was concerned about

I do feel One Care is a great deal again thanks Linda

Thursday, June 5, 2008 7:05 PM
  • You're very welcome. :-)

-steve

Friday, June 6, 2008 2:02 AM