WHS Growing Pains? Adding new drive advice please RRS feed

• Question

• Need a little advice.  I built an OEM WHS box almost two years ago (right after OEM was available) with 2 - 500GB SATA drives. System board has 4 SATA ports. Have since added a 1TB SATA drive and a 1.5TB SATA drive since, so now all my SATA ports are used up. I decided to get a 2TB SATA drive a few days ago (great sale), so now I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about it. Eventually I plan get a new system board with more SATA ports, but don't want to spend the $ right now. I still have enough room to remove the non-system 500GB drive, so figured it was time to do it.  I am wondering what would be the best way to go:

I was thinking about doing a server reinstallation to the new 2TB drive rather than just adding it to the pool.

1.  Can I use the new WHS w/PP3 demo ISO and put my valid OEM product ID in and have a non time-bomb installation? Or, do i need to use my old OEM DVD and go through all the powerpack updates and patch downloads? <sigh>

I really like the idea of a fresh install to clean up some of the old add-in remnants, as well as having had SharePoint running on it at one time, and other SQL stuff that don't always clean up nicely.

2. Will the server reinstall let me put the new 2TB drive in as SATA-0 and move the old 500GB sys drive with C: to SATA-X and recognise it as a previous WHS install? I've got a 5-HDD backplane, so moving the drives around is quite simple. I figure that I'll just stick both 500GB drives in workstations once the new 2TB drive is in, and keep sticking new 2TB drives in my WHS box as I go.

3. Or, should I just add it to the pool and be content for now...

Thanks for any advice!
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:57 PM

All replies

• My personal opinion would be to just do option 3 and be done with it.   After they changed the disk 1 landing pad strategy for new files I do not think you would have any problems with a 500 gig system drive.

Plus I think the failure rate on the 1.5 and 2 TB drives seems to be higher than the 500's and I would not want that as my system disk.

I don't know but I am going to guess that option 1 won't work.  It would be nice to get some media with PP3 slipstreamed in to the WHS.  I too have the original WHS disk without PP1 even and it would be a pain to have to do a reinstall and then upgrade all the service packs. 

I do not know if Power packs can be slipstream but it sure would be nice to be able to download an ISO with PP3 intergrated in to it in case of having to do a server reinstall.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:29 PM
  • I think your suggestion is probably what I'll end up doing. In fact, I think I may just bite the bullet and upgrade my system board as well, so I have 6 SATA ports. Then stick my Sys drive in a regular drive bay, and keep all the backplane for storage disks. After looking at SATA controllers, it is cheaper to upgrade a system board than to add ports to a board.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:08 PM
    1. No. You can't use the demo with a full product key.
    2. You should make sure the system drive is the "first" drive; you may not be offered a recovery/reinstallation option otherwise.
    3. This is the easiest.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 4, 2009 4:38 AM
  • Thanks for the help. I started the process to remove the extra 500GB drive from the pool yesterday and it never completed for some reason. Still shows in pool this morning, so will try it again. New drive will be here today, so hopefully it will go smoothly this time. I deleted a bunch of Recorded TV shows I had on the server, so have more room to work with now.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:42 PM