none
Dynamic drive letters RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, SyncToy 2 works much better than v1.4 . Thanks for making it more robust. I did have some questions about the new dynamic drive letter feature.

1. How (and when) does Synctoy determine that the folder pairs need to be changed to account for dynamic drive letters?

2. Is there a way to force it not to change the drive letters at all or a way for the end user to update it once it has been changed?

3. Can I backup the folder pair definitions and restore them at a later time? Is it as simple as copying the file SyncToyDirPairs.bin in the "Documents and Settings\WINLOGIN\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0" folder?

Here is my situation. I have a laptop with a second hard drive installed in the CD drive bay. I have set it to the drive letter G via the Disk Management MMC. I use drive letters C, D and E for partitions on the main (non removeable drive) and left F free for when I may need the CD drive. Synctoy worked fine with this set up and the right folder was set to the G drive. After using the CD drive (for the first time after setting up SyncToy 2), XP assigned drive letter F to the CD drive and the right folders got changed to F:\ . When I put the second hard drive back in, XP assigned it the drive letter G again (as expected) but the right folders have not changed back to G:\ again. Rebooting does not help. I would like to avoid deleting and recreating my 8 folder pairs each time this happens because of my sub folder customizations. Any suggestions?

Keep up the good work!
    Regards,
    Manoj
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:40 AM