Establishing new network NAS drive as backup, "unsupported network share name" RRS feed

• General discussion

• Recently lost original home network NAS drive to lightning strike, purchased and installed a new one.  When selecting the new backup location, OneCare reports "Unsupported network share name" and then more about only SMB shares are supported.

I know the new drive works as SMB share because it works with other backup programs on my other PCs just fine.  I also set it up with a static IP address to speed things up with Windows in general.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.  Sorry if this has already been answered.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:40 AM

All replies

• There are quite a few threads and posts in the forum regarding spotty NAS support in OneCare for backup.

Did you create a Share on the drive or are you simply pointing to the main drive? The Share needs to be configured for all users to have full access/control of the Share.

Make and model of the NAS?

-steve

Monday, August 18, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Yup, have defined the PUBLIC folder as a share, even have the drive at a static IP address instead of mapping it.  The drive enclosure is a Galaxy Metal Gear 3507 LR-SA with a 500G hard drive.  Unfortunately, the SMB portion of its setup has no way to configure access for users.  It does have a FTP server built in, but it is disabled in the setup.  It should be noted that NovaBackup works just fine with it on my other computers.  So is your interpretation of the error message that OneCare thinks it can't read/write to the drive?
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Yes, that would be my interpretation. I think OneCare and NAS devices are a mixed bag right now and hope that they can address some of the problems in the near future.

Are you configuring Centralized Backup or Backup for a single PC?

How are you pointing to the NAS in the network address? \\Share\folder or n.n.n.n\folder or x:\folder (mapped drive)?

-steve

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:04 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue.  I completed a good backup of the onecare hub to \\nas\backup.  When it was done I configured the circle to use central backup device \\nas\baclup  I am unable to backup anything now.  Even the system that initally worked onecare is complaining about not supporting the share name and only supporting SMB shares.  I believe thats what I am using.  I can brows to \\nas\backup from all computers in circle, bit OneCare says no joy.  Please help.

Monday, September 8, 2008 12:17 AM
  • The likely cause of this problem would be that permissions for the Share have not been set for all users to have full access to the Share. If this is not the case or if you need help with configuring this, please contact support. You'll note that there are many unresolved threads for NAS backup in the forums, so the issue may well be unsolvable until the backup program is overhauled.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:04 PM
  • I contacted support today as sugested, it was a complete waste of 3 hours.  They were arguing with me that \\mynetwork\share was an invalid SMB share.  If its invalid how did it initally create the root backup directory structure?  Why did it do a backup yesterday?  Why is it not working today?  Is there anyone with a brain at micosoft that speaks english I can speak to?  I apologize for venting on a public form, but I paid money for a subscription spicificly because I was told by a OneCare Technician that I would be able to configure a NAS drive as a central backup device and manage it from the HUB.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:11 PM
  • You're allowed to vent and sorry about the bad support experience. Backup to NAS is problematic and clearly the front line techs may be as frustrated as we are.

If you have a support case ID, please let me know what it is and I'll see if I can get the case looked and and escalated. Alternatively, get back to support yourself and if the first level tech can't resolve it within a few minutes, request that the case be escalated and make sure to advise the tech that you have already spent 3 hours with first level tech support.

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:24 PM
  • Thankyou for your reply.  I would appreciate any help you can offer, the service request ID I have is SRX1078423194ID.  I am quite technical and would gladly offer testing of a solution  fron the developers / engineers to resolve this issue.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:29 PM
  • You're welcome. I've sent your case ID on and have asked for the case to be looked at and escalated.

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:17 PM
  •  dlenn845 wrote:
    Thankyou for your reply.  I would appreciate any help you can offer, the service request ID I have is SRX1078423194ID.  I am quite technical and would gladly offer testing of a solution  fron the developers / engineers to resolve this issue.

Damian, support should be reaching out to you as I received a reply that the case is being reviewed.

I also received a request from the OneCare team for you.

Please see this post for how to create the support log zip file: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2512403&SiteID=2

Attempt a backup (from the PC you are going to gather the logs from). Don't close the error dialog, but create the support log zip file. Once that has completed, attach the zip file to an email. Send it to wloc@live.com with a subject line of NAS backup and in the message body, provide the NAS make and model, your contact information and a link back to this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3864889&SiteID=2

Thanks!

-steve

Friday, September 12, 2008 4:45 PM