The amount of data for the knowledge seems too big!!! Any advice? RRS feed

• Question

• Per my understanding, when the sync service start, the client will send knowledge to server also request the knowledge from the server. I find this process involve a large amount of data transportation. In my case, I have 51 tables in the database, which are put in 13 scopes. The total amount of knowledge for these 13 scopes seems to be 1.2 M. Without any real data upload or download, we need to transmit 1.2 M. That seems a lot and is not acceptable.

Could you please advise if you have such experience and how can I reduce this amount of data only for hand shaking?

Thanks!   

• Edited by jz2012 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:16 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:54 PM

Answers

• the sync knowledge is stored in the scope_sync_knowledge and scope_tombstone_cleanup_knowledge columns in the scope_info table.

you can use the SQL function Datalength to check on their sizes.

note though that its not just the sync knowledge that is exchanged during sync, there are other stuff such as session context, and the likes

• Marked as answer by jz2012 Friday, November 25, 2011 3:39 PM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:20 AM

All replies

• how did you arrive at the 1.2M figure? the sync knowledge is already compact and there is not much you can do to reduce it other than doing regular metadata cleanup.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:53 PM
  • it seems the syn knowledge reachs 1.2 Megabyte. I used a networking tool to track the networking traffic. We will synchronize the database through wireless. Thus it is important for us to reduce the amount of transportation data.

I hope my simulation is not correct. Could you please tell me what the amount of the syn knowledge could be?

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:00 PM
  • the sync knowledge is stored in the scope_sync_knowledge and scope_tombstone_cleanup_knowledge columns in the scope_info table.

you can use the SQL function Datalength to check on their sizes.

note though that its not just the sync knowledge that is exchanged during sync, there are other stuff such as session context, and the likes

• Marked as answer by jz2012 Friday, November 25, 2011 3:39 PM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:20 AM