Exam 70-649 & Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know when Microsoft will update their official study guide to include content related to Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 technologies?

I presently have the first edition based on Server 2008 and Vista, so you can imagine my suprise to find every question was refering to Server 2008 R2 in the exam I took earlier today!

Unfortunately, I failed partly due to not being that familiar with the R2.

Even though Microsoft have updated the skills required/objectives, there is no mention of Direct Access, ADFS 2.0 Farms - and this was in the exam!

Thanks

• Changed type Mr. Wharty Saturday, February 4, 2012 10:58 PM
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 8:40 PM

Answers

• I'll be quite honest with you: out of all the Microsoft exams I've taken, I found 70-649 to be the most difficult for several reasons

1) It's actually three mini-tests in one.  On that note:

• If you fail one of the mini-tests, you fail the entire exam! (on my second attempt, I failed the last mini-test BY ONE QUESTION!!!! The first two sections I passed without a problem)
    • A year later, I passed all three sections with my lowest score being 760 (the other two were 850 and 925).  Your grade on the exam is actually the section that you scored the lowest on!
    • The mini-tests only have 20-25 questions each.  Meaning very little room for error.  Miss 6-7 questions on one section?  Might as well not bother with the rest of the test...

2) The Microsoft Press book for the 70-649 will NOT have a Version 2 released for it (no R2 material covered). 

3) You could be hammered with a ton of R2 questions in any and all three sections.

My advice for anyone that has taken the 70-649 and failed it the first time: if you failed it by a large margin, don't bother retaking it.  Just take the three tests that it covers separately.  Why?

1) More room for error.

2) The material for the three origin exams have Version 2 Microsoft Press books released (R2 material covered).

3) If you fail it twice and pass it the third time, you've already paid for three exams anyway...

• Edited by bchapman255 Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Saturday, February 4, 2012 11:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Monday, February 13, 2012 4:18 AM
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:39 PM

All replies

• I feel your pain on this.  I am pretty disappointed with Microsoft about this also.  I took the 70-646 exam last year and I was informed that the exam was to cover Windows 2008 and Vista material, not Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7.  I took and passed the exam.

Last month I took the 70-647 exam and was shocked to find that the whole exam was centered around Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7.  I did manage to pass the exam however I feel cheated that I spent so much time learning the 2008/Vista material which is essentially outdated and useless.  In addition, Earlier this year I purchased the 70-648/70-649 book at a cost of over 60 dollars of my own money (not my companies money) only to find that it is outdated material which will not prepare me for the exam.  We use Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7 at work and I feel that I have wasted a lot of time learning the older operating system where I could have focused more of my free time outside of work learning something more useful.

I feel that Microsoft has really dropped the ball on this and they should not be selling the 2008/Vista training material if it doesn't reflect the current exam.

Monday, March 21, 2011 6:52 PM
  • The MS Press books for the various Server 2008 certifications are supposed to be released in May 2011.  There are many here (me included) that feel MicroSmurf totally dropped the ball when they silently updated the exams last August to include questions on R2, failed to update the Microsoft Learning site (until called on the carpet here) and haven't provided any updated materials as of yet.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 7:21 PM
    Answerer
  • @Charles, I agree with you but I took an exam in September and there was NO mention of R2 or any of the related technologies.  I laugh at the May 2011 release date.  What are IT Professionals supposed to do, take a training vacation for nine months because they can print books in a timely manner?

I guess the best thing to do is move on and just pass the R2 exam(s).  I don't want this to become a Microsoft bashing session.  I think the Microsoft Press books cover the material better than any of the other publishers and their books pretty much set you up for passing the exams, I just wish they were a little better in communicating changes to the curriculum and they were a little more timely in getting the information to press (and removing the outdated material from the bookshelves).  If I had failed an exam and it cost me money to the tune of $125, I may not feel the same way.

Monday, March 21, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I am writing my exam about a month. I picked up this ebook from the Microsoft website, I suggest you read it well before you take your exam!

Windows Server 2008 R2

Monday, April 4, 2011 1:33 PM
  • Robert - sounds like you were one of the fortunate ones that didn't get an exam that included R2.  It was August/September of last year that Microsoft quietly started the change-over.  Have to agree on the May 2011 release date.  The books should have been updated much sooner.  Congrats on passing.
    Monday, April 4, 2011 1:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Here is an interesting blog entry concerning what changed from the Server 2008 RTM/Vista exams to the Server 2008 R2/Win7 exams.

http://transcender.wordpress.com/2010/11/12/book-em-danno-the-windows-server-2008-exams-were-caught-stealing-from-server-2008-r2/

Good luck, everyone, on your certification goals.

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:50 PM
    Answerer
  • I'll be quite honest with you: out of all the Microsoft exams I've taken, I found 70-649 to be the most difficult for several reasons

1) It's actually three mini-tests in one.  On that note:

• If you fail one of the mini-tests, you fail the entire exam! (on my second attempt, I failed the last mini-test BY ONE QUESTION!!!! The first two sections I passed without a problem)
    • A year later, I passed all three sections with my lowest score being 760 (the other two were 850 and 925).  Your grade on the exam is actually the section that you scored the lowest on!
    • The mini-tests only have 20-25 questions each.  Meaning very little room for error.  Miss 6-7 questions on one section?  Might as well not bother with the rest of the test...

2) The Microsoft Press book for the 70-649 will NOT have a Version 2 released for it (no R2 material covered). 

3) You could be hammered with a ton of R2 questions in any and all three sections.

My advice for anyone that has taken the 70-649 and failed it the first time: if you failed it by a large margin, don't bother retaking it.  Just take the three tests that it covers separately.  Why?

1) More room for error.

2) The material for the three origin exams have Version 2 Microsoft Press books released (R2 material covered).

3) If you fail it twice and pass it the third time, you've already paid for three exams anyway...

• Edited by bchapman255 Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Saturday, February 4, 2012 11:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Monday, February 13, 2012 4:18 AM
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Hello!

How many questions are related to command line syntax, for instance using of cmdlets, configuring Server Core, and similar?

• Proposed as answer by Guntis_L Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Guntis_L Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:44 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:44 AM
  • Hello!

How many questions are related to command line syntax, for instance using of cmdlets, configuring Server Core, and similar?

This cannot be discussed as it's in breach of exam NDA.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:54 AM