none
Which download method/program is best. RRS feed

• Question

• I have completed my project with 13 modules.

I have written a setup.exe program to install the other modules and set up the registry.

I now want to provide customers with that software.

I have tried just sending a zip file to be extracted then run setup.exe but this seems a bit messy.

I am getting anti virus software cutting in as it is a new program.

Which is the best extraction program that wont have problems with anti virus software cutting in ?

n.Wright

• Moved by 宝宝徐 Friday, December 1, 2017 6:21 AM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 3:14 AM

Answers

• After trying numerous self extracting programs I found many had unsurpassable bugs.

Iexpress took exception to one of my files and wouldn't work.

I found the one that worked best was WinZip self extractor.

n.Wright

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

This forum is to talk about visual studio IDE and according to your description, you could make some changes in your setup.exe program, so how did you write a setup.exe program, clickonce or something else? I need more information to redirect your thread to correct forum. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Joyce 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 7:35 AM
  • The setup program is just a C# program.

It sets up the registry and then copies files into a set directory.

I need an install program that will download the files then run setup51.exe from a temp directory.

n.Wright

Saturday, November 25, 2017 1:06 AM
  • Hi nigelwright7557,

>>I am getting anti virus software cutting in as it is a new program.

Which is the best extraction program that wont have problems with anti virus software cutting in ?

It is hard for us to resolve this issue.

Two suggestions:

(1) Whether you could change the project type? For example, you send the zip files, maybe you could send the project directly or others. Or just create a setup project with different ways.

(2) Whether your customer could add the setup.exe as the trust process/files in the machine which installed the anti virus software?

If I misunderstood this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Saturday, November 25, 2017 9:50 AM
  • After trying numerous self extracting programs I found many had unsurpassable bugs.

Iexpress took exception to one of my files and wouldn't work.

I found the one that worked best was WinZip self extractor.

n.Wright

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:52 AM