recurring viruses RRS feed

• Question

• I started having a problem where my computer was restarting every 2-3 minutes.

I took it in to Geek Squad to have hardware checked out first. They said the hardware had no problems but I have several viruses. I invested in WOC and was finally able to get completely thru a scan without the computer restarting and found 6 viruses. 2 were permanently removed but 4 keep recurring.

I can do a quick or complete scan and after detecting, quarentining and deleting they keep coming back about every half hour. If I don't keep scanning and removing them the machine will restart again and again.

The "OneCare successfully cleaned or stopped the unwanted software" report reads as follows:

Software                                                    Status

Backdoor:Win32/Iroffer.C                          Detected

RemoteAccess:Win32/GhostRadmin        Quarantined

Virus:BAT/Fired.A                                   Detected

VirTool:Win32/HiddenRun.B                     Detected

How do I find out what is constantly regenerating these viruses?

Saturday, March 15, 2008 3:07 PM

Answers

• Try running a One Care scan in safe mode. How to scan in safe mode with One Care - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925222/en-us

If the virus persists please contact support for help with removal.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:20 PM
  • You are going to have to "purge" all of your system restore points.  To do this turn system restore off which will delete all your restore points.  Then run OC again and when it finishes cleaning out your computer turn system restore back on.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 1:55 AM

All replies

• Try running a One Care scan in safe mode. How to scan in safe mode with One Care - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925222/en-us

If the virus persists please contact support for help with removal.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:20 PM
  • Hey

were u able get rid of these viruses once u ran OC under safe mode

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:12 PM
  • No it had no effect. It found no viruses in safe mode and they recurred once I restarted in normal mode as directed.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 12:33 AM
  • I ran OC in safe mode with the -s and -h options.

It came back with no viruses found then told me to restart in normal mode to complete the scan.

Then I have run the OC scan in normal mode twice and came up with the same results both times.

It lists the file named A0214013.exe in folder H:\System Volume Information\_restore{F40C17BF-1284-4856-AD2B-0E31ED6964BE}\RP529 appears 4 times in the quarrantine area under "Viruses and Spyware" and Change Settings.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 12:39 AM
  • You are going to have to "purge" all of your system restore points.  To do this turn system restore off which will delete all your restore points.  Then run OC again and when it finishes cleaning out your computer turn system restore back on.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 1:55 AM