OneCare for Server ... What about multiple server RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ok, after testing OneCare and playing around with both versions of the OneCare for server I have encountered quite a few errors.  One however that I can not find a way to get around is a multiple server setup.  So SBS 2008 is packed with OneCare.  Great for the standard version, how about the premier version.  What do we do with the other server?  Do we go somewhere else (i.e. McAfee, Norton, etc.)?

OneCare for server will not install on the 32 bit version of Server 2008 ... so there goes that idea.  It will install on the 64 bit version, however because the second server does not have the controlling roles it doesn't want to function properly.  For example it wants auto-update to be enabled (not good for a server).  We don't want our server to restart whenever it wants!  It also wants to take over the firewall.  With SBS 2008 the firewall is not taken over by OneCare because it can't compete in the server firewall environment.  So why does it want to control the firewall of the secondary server?  Can't install the client version on Server 2008 because it's OS is not supported with the client version. 

Something needs to be fixed before the SBS release in November otherwise you'll have a half protected server (if you elect to go the premier route ... and x64 on both).

Maybe I'm missing something here?  Can anyone shed some light on this problem?  Oh and please, please, please ... MS moderators don't simply reply to contact support via chat.  That won't help anyone else!  I've already gone that route and it was escalated up the ladder a couple of times to no avail!

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:34 AM

All replies

• Good questions, Michael. I changed your post to a comment, though, since it may take a bit to get some answers that are meaningful. :-)

If you could email me at sboots@mvps.org with OneCare for Server in the subject line, I'll see what I can find out. I'm supposed to learn more about OneCare for Server at the end of this month, but I may be able to get some answers before then via my contacts on the OneCare team.

-steve

Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:28 PM
  • Steve,

just today while watching "episode" 1 of the  Microsoft partner academy lecture series on
    SBS2008 I became aware of this Onecare for Server item.

I think it is going to sow some confusion regarding the 2008 server platform because until recently Onecare was marketed, even by Microsoft marketing folk as a home not an enterprise offering. Forefront was being marketed as the enterprise offering.

As you may be aware, SBS2008 ALSO comes with Forefront for Exchange Server. Now it was my understanding (perhaps correct that the Forefront a/v client (which is separate and distinct from Forefront for Exchange Server) can also be installed on servers (e.g. SBS2003,Server 2003 and 2008) to serve as the a/v for those servers in lieu of other software manufacturer's (e.g. symantec) server a/v products.

I think Microsoft needs to do some explaining here to clarify what exactly is going on. It is a fact that the Onecare for Server product will only run on Server 2008 systems so any customer with a mixed server environment (i.e. one that includes pre-Server 2008 servers) is still going to need something other than Onecare for Server.

I also think that Microsoft is going to have to release more information on how Onecare for Server and Onecare for Vista/XP works so that Microsoft partners who are supplying this technology can have a better understanding.

I would also assume that now that Microsoft intends to push Onecare into the enterprise market that it will have a rich set of Group Policy object support for the components of Onecare for Server as well as Onecare for Vista/XP.

Best Regards

John Holmblad
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Steve & John,

Unfortunately I gave up on OneCare.  I went with another AV company that provides a solution for all of my servers, workstations and replaces Forefront for Exchange.  I won't mention who I switched to because this is a Microsoft Forum (however I will say that thier logo is a "K").  The AV software that I deployed works flawlessly with Exchange, SBS2008, Server 2008 Standard and Vista & XP Workstations along with great Exchange integration.  OneCare was causing me nothing but grief.  All in all, I typically support MS software.  I run multiple Web Servers, Mail Servers (etc.) and all are MS platforms.  I thought that OneCare would be a great edition.  Like I mentioned in previous posts and this one as well, it's unfortunate that it's not better.  I guess we have to give it time.  I couldn't wait out the bugs, hoping that my servers wouldn't get attacked.  As far as Forefront is concerned, I like it.  One of their Virus Engines is deployed by the AV company that I switched to.  The only reason that I remvoed Forefront was because I can now control all my workstations, servers, remote servers, and exchange AV with one control panel.  It makes it easy to overlook everything! 

Good luck to OneCare and it's development team.  Hopefully within the next two months they'll improve the software in time for the SBS 2008 release!

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 10:03 PM