Windows XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• My computer has XP Pro installed and has just shown that it is not genuine.  When investigating the WGA I notice that no mention is made of the Pro version versus the Home edition.  Will the WGA work with both versions or will it convert my Pro to a genuine Home version.

Thanks

Lufflands

Thursday, June 1, 2006 10:45 AM

Answers

• You would need to purchase a Product Key for Windows XP Professional, then use the following tool to change the non-genuine Windows XP Professional Product Key to the new genuine Windows XP Professional Product Key.

The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key - all without a reinstall! http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

One cannot change the Product Key of Windows XP Professional using a Windows XP Home Edition Product Key since the Windows XP versions are different.  

Thursday, June 1, 2006 3:20 PM

All replies

• If you have a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional installed, then the only way to return to a genuine version of Windows XP Home Edition is to perform a "clean install" which requires reformatting the hard drive.  This procedure is easily accomplished by following the instructions outlined here:

Clean Install Windows XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Thursday, June 1, 2006 1:38 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback Cary.  Perhaps I did not explain the problem very well.  I have been running XP Pro for some time with no problems.  I recently tried to upgrade the Media Player via the Microsoft web site and it then told me that my version was illegal. When exploring the Windows Genuine Advantage route, I could find no mention that the WGA would provide me with a legal version of XP Pro.  Indeed it did not mention either the Home or Pro version.  My question is, if I go along the WGA route and purchase the key from Microsoft, will the end result leave me with my own version of XP Pro now legal, or downgrade the installation to Home edition.  I hope that's clear.

Thanks for you help

Lufflands

Thursday, June 1, 2006 3:02 PM
  • You would need to purchase a Product Key for Windows XP Professional, then use the following tool to change the non-genuine Windows XP Professional Product Key to the new genuine Windows XP Professional Product Key.

The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key - all without a reinstall! http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

One cannot change the Product Key of Windows XP Professional using a Windows XP Home Edition Product Key since the Windows XP versions are different.  

Thursday, June 1, 2006 3:20 PM