XP Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• My windows XP failed the Genuine Validation check so I have purchased on line a grenuine copy. I have been given the Product Key and am now awaiting the actual disk. I have tried to download the Product Key change software and it fials to operate the wizard with the following error no  0x800402c9. This is an error writing to disc and states that there may not be sufficient space but there is plenty.
    Any help please?
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 5:38 PM

Answers

• Hello Blearie,

Sometimes the Product Key Updater Utility cannot complete its task, part of which is to check and verify over 6,000 Operating System files.  As I understand the issue, it is because the current nongenuine installation of XP is just too heavily compromised to be fixed.  When the error you experienced is returned, there is no alternative but to wait until the Genuine Microsoft hologrammed CD arrives, backup and offload your data, and then do a clean installation of XP using the genuine CD and the Product Key that you received via email.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 4:26 AM

All replies

• I HAVE A PRUDUCT KEY AND YET I DID NOT PASS THE PRODUCT VALIDATION. HOW CAN I ENTER MY NEWLY ACQUIRED PRUDUCT KEY AND PROOF OF LICENSE?

• Proposed as answer by boyet ablang Sunday, August 2, 2009 3:11 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, August 3, 2009 5:05 PM
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 3:09 AM
  • Hello Blearie,

Sometimes the Product Key Updater Utility cannot complete its task, part of which is to check and verify over 6,000 Operating System files.  As I understand the issue, it is because the current nongenuine installation of XP is just too heavily compromised to be fixed.  When the error you experienced is returned, there is no alternative but to wait until the Genuine Microsoft hologrammed CD arrives, backup and offload your data, and then do a clean installation of XP using the genuine CD and the Product Key that you received via email.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 4:26 AM