Installing Windows 7 Full Retail version using OEM disc with retail product key? / Bootcamp, Mac OS 10.9.5 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install full retail windows 7 on a mac via bootcamp. I ordered a full retail version from a seller on ebay but what arrived was OEM discs. The seller is saying the discs don't actually matter and that the product key is all that matters. I don't know much about how windows actually works but I know from other forums that I cannot use OEM on a mac via bootcamp.

The seller has also stated that full retail and OEM discs are all the same and that the only thing that's different is the product key. The product key (according to him/her) is what determines if your version is actually OEM or full retail.

Can anyone verify/confirm what the seller is saying? Can I install Full Retail Version Windows 7 on my mac via bootcamp using OEM disc?

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:42 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can use an OEM disk to install using a Full Retail Key (or vice-versa) - it's best if the OEM disk is a System Builder one, but a Dell one will work very well. Other OEM disks may require that you install third-party software. If this is a Dell disk (or other major OEM provider) it may not request the Key during the install, but will install the OEM Key - which will not be able to activate. You will need to change the Key after the install to the one from your Retail license, and then activate that.

Yes, you can use an OEM license on a Mac with bootcamp - but it's not recommended, since the license will expire with the Mac (even if it dies the day after the install). In theory, it's also a breach of the License terms for OEM System Builder disks to be used on a pre-built system - but MS usually ignores this particular breach

There is no reason why you shouldn't install a Full Retail Licensed product on a Mac - either in Bootcamp, Parallels, or as a replacement for OSX.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 4:18 PM