CTP - Reinstallation option with an external USB drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I have a question about upgrading/reinstalling with an attached USB drive using the CTP release.  I have an internal 200GB drive that is my primary WHS drive and an external 160GB USB drive that I added to the WHS pool so that I could turn on duplication for all my shared folders using Beta 2.

I want to upgrade from Beta 2 to the CTP (rather than doing a clean install) so that all I don't have to go through the process of copying my 40GB of shared files to the WHS again.  However, I'm not sure how to do this based on the CTP documentations. 

The CTP docs say that shared folders will remain untouched during an upgrade.  Great.  However it also says to detach any external drives before installing the WHS.  Ok.  But then it says adding a drive after WHS is installed will erase everything on the new drive.  Bad.

For a reinstall/upgrade, can I keep the USB drive attached and will the duplicate files remain?  I thought the docs might be referring to a clean install when they warned about detaching external drives.

If I have to remove the USB drive, then I guess the steps I'd have to follow would be to reattach the USB drive after the upgrade, add it to the storage pool (losing the existing duplicates), and then turn on duplicates again so WHS can duplicate the shared files to the USB drive again.  If I have to go this route, how do I be sure that all my shared files are on the primary drive before I upgrade?  Should I first remove the USB drive from the storage pool before I begin the upgrade?

Thanks.  I'm really looking fwd to testing the CTP build.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:58 AM

Answers

• To supplement the previous answer:

If you are doing a server reinstallation, you should not disconnect your external drives. WHS will want to see all of them. It's possible that disconnecting them will result in them not being recognized when they are reconnected.

If you have data on your WHS that you want to preserve, reinstallation is the best choice.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:33 PM
  • Couple of things:

• Since this is Beta software, make sure you have a backup of any important data prior to doing an upgrade - now called "Server Reinstallation"
    • You have 2 choices,
      1. you can try removing the USB hard drive first through the Windows Home Server Console - assuming you have enough space on the 1st hard drive for your Shared Folders and Backups of your Home Computers. Then boot from the DVD and choose "server reinstallation"
      2. OR - you can leave the USB drive plugged in and boot from the DVD and choose "Server Reinstallation"
    • You only need to unplug USB hard drives if you are doing a "New Installation" - you can leave them plugged in for a "Server Reinstallation"  - and as you add hard drives to a home server, they still do get formatted.

But if you plug hard drives that were installed in a home server into another machine, you still have access to the files stored on the disk - so you do have a possibility of recovery.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:21 PM

All replies

• Couple of things:

• Since this is Beta software, make sure you have a backup of any important data prior to doing an upgrade - now called "Server Reinstallation"
    • You have 2 choices,
      1. you can try removing the USB hard drive first through the Windows Home Server Console - assuming you have enough space on the 1st hard drive for your Shared Folders and Backups of your Home Computers. Then boot from the DVD and choose "server reinstallation"
      2. OR - you can leave the USB drive plugged in and boot from the DVD and choose "Server Reinstallation"
    • You only need to unplug USB hard drives if you are doing a "New Installation" - you can leave them plugged in for a "Server Reinstallation"  - and as you add hard drives to a home server, they still do get formatted.

But if you plug hard drives that were installed in a home server into another machine, you still have access to the files stored on the disk - so you do have a possibility of recovery.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:21 PM
  • To supplement the previous answer:

If you are doing a server reinstallation, you should not disconnect your external drives. WHS will want to see all of them. It's possible that disconnecting them will result in them not being recognized when they are reconnected.

If you have data on your WHS that you want to preserve, reinstallation is the best choice.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:33 PM