Server Backup larger than 2TB working? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure I've setup something incorrectly but my current backup drive is showing larger than 2TB.  I don't know if it will work past 2TB but so far it's working on backing up under 2TB.

For a little background:  I had major space issues with my WHS 2011 so I did some clean-up directly on the server moving files around.  I cleared up space on my 3TB drive, removed the previous partitions, and reformatted it with a 3TB partition directly in the MMC (which I now think is a no-no).  Afterwards, I selected it as my Server Backup drive in the Dashboard which now shows up as a 3TB (2794.4GB) server backup drive.

I assume this won't work and will fail after my backups are larger than 2TB?  Have others made the same mistake?

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:27 AM

Answers

• Your server backup won't grow larger than 2 TB; it can't because that's the limit of the technology used for storing the backups. At that point, it will either fail with an error, it will start pruning backups to keep the total backups under 2 TB, or it will wipe the database and start from scratch. I don't recall which, but if you search the forum a bit you'll likely find other posts on the subject.

And you are correct, anything done outside the dashboard is technically unsupported. Some things are harmless, some aren't, and there is no protection from doing something which would be harmless on a normal desktop or server, but which will cause a severe problem for Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Balcells Saturday, August 31, 2013 1:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, September 9, 2013 3:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, September 9, 2013 3:03 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:29 PM